• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual channel different types/brands of memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Private Joker

One of the two sticks of my Team XTreem (Hermes) TXDR512M550HC25 dual channel kit recently quit service, and since I don't want to buy a whole new set, I was thinking about piking up a cheap single stick on eBay. Maybe even a sligthely slower one.
I'm interested in a single 512MB Kingmax Hard-core PC4000 stick.

They should operate together at 250MHz, 2,5-4-4-8 in dual channel mode of course.

Can you think of possible complications, or should it work just fine?

Thanks in advance :)

Ive used ram from different companies in the same laptop and worked fine. You just have to check if the timings, and voltage are the same. If the speeds different then itll run at the slowest speed.

Just looked on newegg, if the ram your using now is 2.8v I think you could use this.

Last edited:
I didn't know that Laptops use dual channel too nowadays. I guess I have to catch up a bit... :D

There's nothing special about my system or the RAM, so I basicly just need RAM, that's able to run at 250MHz with relatively tight timings (for its time), which I will set and test manualy anyway, so the SPD should be no Problem.

Anyway, thanks for the link, but I doupt that they ship to europe, and if they would, it might be to expensive. :)

It definitely won't break the computer, but I also don't think you'll be able to use dual channel unless the sticks are exactly the same.

Back