• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to put winxp on a 1 gig harddrive.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I read somewhere that you can put winxp on a 1 gig drive if you elliminate some mostly useless files.

Anybody know how?

I was thinking more of a minimalist list of files that are needed to actuallly boot windows and then copying those files from a full windows install to a one gig disk.

Specifically what hidden files are needed and can those hidden files actually be copies and how.

Also the files containing the registry and the windows key files need to be in the right place.

I was thinking more of a minimalist list of files that are needed to actuallly boot windows and then copying those files from a full windows install to a one gig disk.

Specifically what hidden files are needed and can those hidden files actually be copies and how.

Also the files containing the registry and the windows key files need to be in the right place.

Copying windows install from a disk to another is bound to fail, unless you use images. May I ask why you absolutely want XP in the first place?

If you do, try to use nLite on an XP cd and remove everything you don't use, it should reduce the installation size.

I have heard of something called Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs (WinFLP) though I don't know much about it...

You could use nLite. Remove anything you don't need until it's small enough to fit in 1GB.

You can use nLite to strip out a buncha crap like others have said. You can strip out a bunch of network drivers and what not. Also, you can stip out things like games, accessibility features and things. TinyXP, once installed, takes about ~680Mb if I remember right. You have to add in certain functionality like the JET database and VB6 files if you want to use it day to day.

Back