• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Downgraded Vista - Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-_{MoW}_-Assasi

I have recently downgraded from Vista to XP again

Now, I cannot access my Pictures and Music folder from my Vista Partition

I think it maybe encrypted or something
I have little knowledge in software security, so can anyone give me any pointers on how to access these folders again?

Error Msg says

Refers to a location that is unavailable, It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network...blah blah blah

I really need those folders as I have important photos in them

Thnx Guys

Wow, my aplogies for that garbage and unhelpful post. I did not mean to crap on your thread. I deleted my first post for obvious reasons.

The pictures and music folders are in different places on XP and Vista.

On XP they can be found in C:\documents and settings\Username\My Documents and whatnot.

But on Vista they are in C:\users\username\Pictures and C:\users\username\Music

It's possible the locations just got switched on you and that's why you can't find them.

You can also try using the Search feature to locate something you know to exist and find out where it was moved to.

Last edited:
My experiance is the same . In XP x64 I cant see those (pics , etc) Vista files , but if Iam in Vista I can see the XP files no problem .

Seems Vista can see/read the lower/older os files , where as the reverse situation is not possible .

vixro said:
Wow, my aplogies for that garbage and unhelpful post. I did not mean to crap on your thread. I deleted my first post for obvious reasons.

The pictures and music folders are in different places on XP and Vista.

On XP they can be found in C:\documents and settings\Username\My Documents and whatnot.

But on Vista they are in C:\users\username\Pictures and C:\users\username\Music

It's possible the locations just got switched on you and that's why you can't find them.

You can also try using the Search feature to locate something you know to exist and find out where it was moved to.

Its not that I could not FIND them, I knew they were there, I just could not ACCESS them

-_{MoW}_-Assasi said:
Its not that I could not FIND them, I knew they were there, I just could not ACCESS them

OOPs , yeh sorry... bad choice of words on my part . The same for me too ; I cant "accesss" those files either .

This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to access your documents with a linux livecd? (I really don't know, as I keep my my docs folder unencrypted in XP for cross-platform use)

I just looked around on google and couldn't find anything specific to your question.

grumperfish said:
This is probably a dumb question, but is it possible to access your documents with a linux livecd? (I really don't know, as I keep my my docs folder unencrypted in XP for cross-platform use)

I just looked around on google and couldn't find anything specific to your question.

Problem is my nvRAID :(

Back