• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network access program report software

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hafa

I'm looking for a stripped-down program that can provide a real-time report of which programs are accessing the network. Details would be nice, such as destination IPs. The ability to block access would be nice as well. I'd be willing to pay, but would like to keep it under US$100.00.

I DO NOT want Zone Alarm or any other kind of software firewall; I have a hardware firewall to do that job. Reports available from the firewall are quite good, but they don't indicate which program is accessing the network and it's not possible to block a given program's access.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
download nmap and run a search with the -sV switch. use results to block the access with your firewall via closing the ports.

nmap looks like a great product for determining traffic in a network, but I'm just trying to see what's going on with my local machine.

When attempting to do so using mmap sV 192.168.xxx.xxx, nmap returns "Skipping SYN Stealth Scan against 192.168.xxx.xxx because Windows does not support scanning your own machine this way."

No report is generated...

hmm, maybe try testing against your loopback? 127.0.0.1

sV switch is suppose to probe open ports to determine service/version info

when i do it it shows what ports are in use and what type of service and which version it is.

have you looked into XP's built in netstat command? in a roundabout way it may help you out.

Thanks for the suggestion, TJ, but still no joy with nmap/ no results.

netstat, however, is pretty handy and does basically what I need, albeit without the bells and whistles I'd like. Thanks for the link.

Back