• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.Skill HZ vs Crucial Ballistix

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woca

Both seem generally the same and I believe both have D9's or which ever is the better

which would you guys go with. Personally both seem great so I figured i'd ask which one you guys have had a better experience with.

If you are using it on a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P motherboard that would probably sell me lol

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

I would go with the Crucial. Not only because they are cheaper but I believe they are better binned than the G.Skill. Mostly due to the fact that Crucial is a division of Micron so they probably get the better sticks first. I've had my sticks since around January and I couldn't be happier. The highest I've taken them is 550mhz with 2.4 or 2.45v but I know they can do even more.

woca said:
Both seem generally the same and I believe both have D9's or which ever is the better

which would you guys go with. Personally both seem great so I figured i'd ask which one you guys have had a better experience with.

If you are using it on a GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P motherboard that would probably sell me lol

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
i would say go with the gksill hz's "see below"

inkfx said:
I would go with the Crucial. Not only because they are cheaper but I believe they are better binned than the G.Skill. Mostly due to the fact that Crucial is a division of Micron so they probably get the better sticks first. I've had my sticks since around January and I couldn't be happier. The highest I've taken them is 550mhz with 2.4 or 2.45v but I know they can do even more.
hmm your took that much voltage to get that high?
i got this with only 2.3v
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/1m33g11p352.jpg

I run DDR2-1118 5-5-5-12 @2.25v 24/7
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v733/Evilsizer/ocforums/superpi 1m runs/gskillhz.jpg

Either that or look at the ddr2-800 HK's from gskill only $114 and only need 2.2-2.3v to max out around 520-575mhz.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231114

I have tested one set each of both of these memory kits. The g.Skill units clocked up to 600Mhz with 2.35v, and were stable at 575Mhz with 2.25v for daily use (gaming, etc. for a couple of months). The Ballistix clocked about the same, but did so with less voltage. 575Mhz @ 2.15v, but after that I couldn't push the speeds higher - even with more voltage. However, even with less voltage, the Crucials ran much hotter than the g.Skills. I used the Crucials for about one week daily use (lots of gaming and video card testing).

Testing was done with the rig in my signature. Memory was actively cooled with an OCZ XTC cooler. These are far from scientific results, but if I had a choice I'd go with the g.skills. They're usually cheaper, and run much cooler.

cant go wrong with either in my experience.id just grab the cheaper of the two sit back and relax knowing ill easily max my cpu out :)
btw those ballistix are the only truly sweet deal on d9s right now.

I've had very bad experience with Crucial before, I had a set of thier 1GB Ballistix sticks about a year ago in another computer. Randomly died on me 5-6 times in a span of only a few months. I've had nothing but success with those HZ chip G.SKILL's. Thats where my vote goes.

If these are both comparable products I think im going to go with the G.Skill. I have been debating this for awhile I just havnt got around to posting a question. My reasoning is simple appearance though, I think the black will look better in my case.

Evilsizer said:
i would say go with the gksill hz's "see below"

hmm your took that much voltage to get that high?
Sorry I should have been more specific. I just put it to 2.4 or 2.45 in the BIOS and let it go. It probably could have done it with less I just didn't try it.

Here it is at 2.4v. (havn't tried for more.. yet)

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=221525

650mhzza2.jpg

I had this cjoice...and I am happy to say I went with G Skill just because I didn't like the orange heatspreaders and even hated the tracers. Check my sig :)

P.S. This RAM has more in it I am sure, but I do not need more from it.

My Crucial Ballistix Tracer 8500 is running 100% stable at 630MHZ CAS 5-5-5-18 with the default 2.2V on a Gigabyte P35-DS3R board.. It seems to go to around 1270 without needing more voltage but I havn't given it any more. Very happy with Crucial quality.

Back