• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista: To Floppy or Not To Floppy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JohnnyCNote

I'm preparing for my next computer and have concluded that I should get Vista (version to be determined at a later date, but probably Premium). My current PC (see sig) has a floppy that I haven't used since I can remember.

However, I've kept it because every so often the need arises to be able to use one. While I'd be happy to do without this obsolete relic of days past, I don't want to get caught in a situation where I might need it.

One alternative is go with a multi drive such as the Mitsumi Compact Floppy Disk Drive USB 7 in 1 Media Drive.

So what's the word?

Thanks . . .

For US$19, I'd go for the Mitsumi.

The card reader really comes in handy, and for those very rare occasions where it's needed, the floppy is there for you.

FWIW, I install these on every new build. If it wasn't there, someone would make an issue of it eventually...

I haven't had a floppy drive for at least 3 years. The only time I would ever possibly need to use one anyways would be for a bios flash...but my board lets me do it off my usb drive or even my hard drive.

I've used a cd-r once or twice for a bootable image though. It was paintful to use a 700mb for a 2mb file.

I wouldn't get a floppy. If you think you might need the card reader, might as well get it though.

Thanks for all the replies! I think I'll go with the Mitsumi drive as I sometimes need to transfer files from a flash card.

i would just go the bootable flash drive route

I've often wondered if a flash drive could be made into a boot disk.
What's involved in setting one up?

Back