• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Buying a Intel 2CD chip - can i still run windows XP?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M4dSc1ent1st

Registered
I'm going to be buying an Intel Dual core chip (probably the E6600) can i still run Windows XP professional - as it doesnt support 64bit or dual core processors.

Will there be much of a performnace hit for the CPU....should i get Vista or WinXP 64? :shrug: :shrug:

thanks

windows 32bit will work with a c2d you just wont be able to run programs that utilise both cores.

I run windows xp pro 64 and its works very well and is stable.....unlike some other MS OSs lol.

I wouldnt advise vista yet...maybe wait til service pack comes out...but i have no experience with it.

windows 32bit will work with a c2d you just wont be able to run programs that utilise both cores.
False. Windows does support native dualcores (at least with SP2 - don't think many have experiance with dualcores under SP1 or even SP-less :eek:).
In addition, Win x64 is simpily an OS that takes advantage of the 64bit instruction set - after all, all consumer chips have 64bit support on top of 32bit, not replacing 32bit (like the more or less failed Itantium). See x86-64 on wiki.

There appears to be some confusion here. Windows XP Home supports one physical processor, but can use the multiple cores up to any number. Pro can support up to 8 physical processors and use lots of cores.

DanFraser said:
There appears to be some confusion here. Windows XP Home supports one physical processor, but can use the multiple cores up to any number. Pro can support up to 8 physical processors and use lots of cores.

You've added to the confusion. XP Pro (whether it be x86 or x64) supports only two physical processors with any number of cores. The COA states this plainly :]

Back