• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64 and 4GB of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

anomaly00

Ok, here is my issue: Went to install Vista Ultimate 64-bit, had it running fine with 2x1GB of Corsair XMS2 Twin2X Dominator 8500 on an Asus P5N32-E SLI mobo. Built my new case and watercooling setup, added in the other 2GB of the same RAM. After "completing installation" Vista goes into a BSOD, followed by an endless reboot loop. After 4 hours on the phone with a MS tech reinstalling Vista 8 different times, the only cure seemed to be installing with 2 GB or less. After getting the fresh install stable, restarting a few times, surfing the web a few times, I put in the other 2 sticks. BSOD and reboot loop all over again. According to a search of the forums and google, seems Vista 64 won't install or run on 4GB, the MS tech says it has to do with "double buffering". Asus forums threads and some here mention enabling memory remap in the BIOS. That comes with a problem. The bios for the P5N32-E SLI appears to have no setting for memory remap that I can find. Or at least none labelled as such.
The board will POST fine with the 4GB, shows all of it. But Vista 64 will not start on it. Tried replacing 2GB sticks by each pair. All are fine. Currently memtest86'ing each pair to see if a bad set comes up.
Anyone have any ideas or know how to enable memory remapping in the BIOS for an Asus P5N32-E SLI? BIOS ver 1103 (newest released for the board).

That's a problem with that board. It's very cranky using 4gb of ram.

Here's a copy/paste of an email that OCZ tech support sent to a buddy of mine. Great support from OCZ btw, the issue is with the mb not the ram, but they still worked with him to get things running.

"Yes, I did play with that some.

There is a big FSB hole where it doesn't work...at least here on my board. I
am using the 0602 bios.

With 2GB installed, set the CPU / Ram Config to Unlinked.

Set the FSB (QDR) to 1067. Set the Ram speed (MHz) to 854

Then set 2.1V for the ram on the OverVoltage page, set the NB Core at 1.30 -
1.35V.

On the Overclocking > Memory timings set the top 5 items to 4-4-4-15-2T (in
that order top to bottom)

Now, save and exit the bios, let the board post or even go all the way to
Windows then shutdown, power off the PSU with the switch (or pull the cord)
and add the other 2GB of ram. Now power on and see if it posts and goes into
Windows."

This is with the P5N sli plus btw. Even if this isn't exactly your board, I think the fix will be similar. Try get as close to these settings as you can.

I hope this helps. Btw, this is why I use Intel chipsets for all of my builds ;)

I read through the Asus P5N32-E SLI manual to see if the remap feature was in the the bios. No luck.

There is a new bios out, 1201.

If memtest passes both of your sets, maybe try uping the voltage a bit on the ram or loosen the timings.

Well its not vista 64 4gb of ram that is your problem, it is either some or all of the ram and/or the motherboard. I have 4gb happily running with vista 64bit.

I hope to join the 4+GB Vista 64 club soon :D

It'll have to wait until I can go back to work in September :(

Hrmm well I have the P5N32-E Sli Plus motherboard running Vista Ultimate 64-Bit along with 4gb's of ram... had a issue with clocks but that's just because I'm a overclocking noob. Have everything working just fine now... So it must be a 680i issue...

Great...just flashed to BIOS 1203, using Asus Update2...and system will not boot past the "AI Life" logo, will not enter Setup. But will POST beep oddly. Emailed Asus. Damn board, it's going back, too much trouble. Think I'll grab an eVGA 680i.

anomaly00 said:
Great...just flashed to BIOS 1203, using Asus Update2...and system will not boot past the "AI Life" logo, will not enter Setup. But will POST beep oddly. Emailed Asus. Damn board, it's going back, too much trouble. Think I'll grab an eVGA 680i.
Is this the procedure you tried?
http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments_content.aspx?no=541&SLanguage=en-us

Did you reset the BIOS after unplugging the power supply and discharging it by holding down the front panel power switch?

Lawls, the asus updater won't work for me in vista... but thankfully, asus has made flashing a cinch by already having a flasher in bios that allows you to read off of a usb drive. Simple stuff, beats using a pos floppy drive, and hoping it didn't corrupt in the few seconds after writing to it.

Funny thing was, the EZ flash in the BIOS wouldnt read my USB drive. Which is why I resorted to the Update2 in Vista, which worked fine in backing up the original BIOS. Called Memory Express, where I got the board. They may not replace it, simply because I removed the stock heatpipe assembly on the NB, thereby modifying it. Which is of course a moot point, seeing as it's an Asus problem with the bios or update2 proggy, and would have happened regardless. $270 for an eVGA 680i SLI that I didn't want to spend.

Back