• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

What is the difference between OEM and RETAIL? The OEM is selling for cheaper that the RETAIL at newegg. Why would anybody buy RETAIL when they can get the same product cheaper as OEM?

--Garfield

Oh, for my new system, I think I'm going to go with OEM. I need the extra couple of bucks saved when buying OEM. Thanks!

--Garfield

Also depends on the product.

Hard drives will come without cables and mounting equipment, CPUs without HS/fan and slim warranty, etc.

However, when dealing with video cards and sound cards and the like, the actual hardware can be very different. OEM versions of these normally use cheaper memory modules, leave certain features off or disabled and such...not to mention the lack of software. Usually come in a plain white or brown box too.

It's a good idea to make sure you know exactly what you're getting when going for OEM products.

I almost always buy OEM processors and hard drives though. I just save too much not to.

Yeah, I'm going with OEM for the AMD CPU of this system I'm going to build.

>> Proud member of the OverClockers.com SETI Team. Join now! <<

What is this stuff all about? I'm kind of new to overclockers.com, and I see all this stuff about teams. What is this about? Thanks.

--Garfield

well if you have an athlon you might feel a bit more at home folding. basically we use our computers to crunch numbers for either seti (the space nuts) or folding (curing diseases). there is a bit of competition for who crunches the most numbers and we have teams for both. check out our seti and folding forums for more info.

by the way retail products usually have better a warentee as well. do not buy an oem videocard.

OEM is what Jon explained basically, everything is compressed down like the waranty, it comes in just an anti-static bag instead of coming in a box.

Sometimes it can result in a third party manufacturer actaully making the product using the chip though ie: Video Cards.

>> Proud member of the OverClockers.com SETI Team. Join now! <<

What is this stuff all about? I'm kind of new to overclockers.com, and I see all this stuff about teams. What is this about? Thanks.

--Garfield

Back