• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is 4gb worth it to an overclocker?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

I game, the system is being built for dx10 games like crysis and starcraft2, all that jazz. Im fairly certain these games will be every bit capable of utilizing 2+gb of ram, question is, will my overclock suffer for it?

I could do 4x1gb or 2x2gb. but I think the 4x1gb is the better choice. I will most likely water cool the ram, the cpu is watercooled and will be a quadcore 6600 in a P35 mobo(giga probably, maybe asus for the extra voltage?) and vista 64bit.

do you think 4gb is worth it over 2gb in this situation, and if so, 2x2 or 4x1?

2x2GB is better, Also no need to watercool ram they won't get any higherclocks just get a fan on em.

Of course it always depends what you are using your box for. My engineering code can use up to 2GB so I like having the extra 2GB to have some breathing room. And honestly I have had absolutely no problems with overclocking with 4 sticks. The only thing my system cannot do now is 1T command rate like I could do with my old 650i and 2GB. I can OC the RAM to 900MHz just fine. But I have never really had to push my RAM that much more than that. I think if you have a good board it should be no problem whatsoever.

The one thing I HIGHLY recommend if you are going to do 4x1GB instead of 2x2GB is to get all 4 sticks of the same kind. I had 2x1GB OCZ and 2x1GB GSKILL and they did not like to work together. That was when I really had problems OCing. They could not even do 800MHz together which was the stock frequency.

whats a good 2x2gb stick then? I was planning on the ballistix pc6400 in the other thread; I dont see any 2gb sticks with 444 timings though.

if I did 4x1gb they would all be balistix. right now I have DDR ram, so there is nothing carrying over here. this is a clean slate for memory. I wont be wasting any ram if I go 2x2gb, and I wont be adding to any ram with 4x1gb.

Back