• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ran Some Memory Performance Tests

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

Have run some tests to see what are dominate overclocking parameters. Results were obtained by using Rig 1 below in my sig. They aren't perfect but hopefully of some use. :cool:

You do get higher bandwidth and performance with higher CPU speed, see figure below. There is minimal effect of the FSB speed when the CPU speed is fixed, i.e. running the northbridge faster alone doesn't provide any advantage.

The next figure shows the gains of higher memory speed at a fix CPU speed of 3.5Ghz using Pi 1M as a metric. I kept the y-axis the same so you could see the changes relative to first plot easier. Memory timings are held constant in these studies. As you can see, higher memory speed does improve performance. But the difference between memory at 800 and 1000 is minimal, on the order of 1.5% or less (see details below).

So here is the info on memory timings. Interesting detective story associated with the initial part of investigation. The table shows results using my Mushkin that is rated at 4-5-4-11. Two sets of tests associated with memory timings are shown. One test ran Pi using 1M digits with 5 samples and the other 2M digits with 10 samples. The 1M case is often used as a reference test by a number of folks including myself.

To make a long story short, the results using 1M digits and 5 samples do not produce results that we would expect. For example 5-5-5-12 is faster than 4-4-4-11, very questionable result. However if you look at the standard deviations of the tests (called sigma in table), you see that the uncertainty associated with the numbers indicates that while the results aren't what we expect it is a reasonable result. (If you have a collection of data from a Normal Distribution then approximately 66% of the data should fall within one standard deviation of the mean.) Thus 66% of the average values would lie between 14.7689 (average - sigma) and 14.8835 (average + sigma) if I had an infinite number of tests. My result for 5-5-5-12 lies within that spread so I can't say it is wrong. Thus my metric as applied to this question doesn't appear to be good enough! You always have to make sure you're measurement reflects what you think it does.

From this point, I conclude I required a better metric to measure the effect of memory timings so decided to try Pi with 2M digits and taking 10 samples. Took half a day testing to run those cases in combo with a few "honey-do"s too. Anyway now looking at those results in the table, they are more typical of what we expect, i.e. the ordering of what is important is typical for the various settings.

So what is the maximum improvement that I might reasonably expect with better memory timings? 66% of my maximum performance improvement will be less than 1% for a single setting change to all timings, i.e. going from 5-5-5-12 to 4-4-4-11. I get this number by doing this (37.4248+.0.1108)/(37.2565-.08831)=1.0099 or 1%.

How does this relate to better memory? If I had DDR2 rated at 800 and went to memory rated at 1000 using data I've not given you but did show in the figure, (15.019+0.017)/(14.854-0.034)=1.0146 or 1.5%. Thus better (faster) memory is better, in this case 800 at 4-4-4-11 will be better than 1000 at 5-5-5-12. Of course taking bigger steps in memory speed or wider spreads in timings would have to be tested.

From these 3 sets of studies, I conclude
1) CPU speed is most important and greatest payback
2) higher memory speed is next
3) tighter memory timings (speed and timings usually compete with one another, as speed gets faster the timings get slower)
4) FSB alone has minimal value.

Anyway, those are the basics with the regions I've tested. :beer:

Attachments

• Pi_fcn_CPUspeed.jpg
    Pi_fcn_CPUspeed.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Pi_fcn_MEMspeed.jpg
    Pi_fcn_MEMspeed.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Very nice work, as yours has always been, I might add.

It would be interesting to see how much of an increase in performance, if any, a bump in memory speed to something in the range of DDR2-1200 would provide.

That could provide a basis for trying to decide, when buying ram, whether a pair of sticks, rated at DDR2-1066, but capable of hitting DDR2-1200 would be a worthwhile purchase, vs buying something rated at DDR2-800, but capable of hitting DDR2-1000.

Based on your results so far, an estimate of performance increase in the 1-3% range would probably be in line. Might not be worth it for the majority of folks.

In your opinion, would be safe to project that the performance increases might also be related to CPU speed...in other words, if the tests were run at 3.75GHz or 4.0GHz, the boost in memory performance might also be a little greater...what are your thoughts on that?

Last edited:
good work,

This is why I always say that pumping voltage for the sole purpose of OCing RAM (non related to CPU overclocking) is useless and the return for what you get does not make it worth it.

Thanks Reefa_Man. By the way, I had an entry error in my memory speed versus performance table so the plot above is revised to show correction plus added a few points at higher memory speed.

As you're aware, the problems with projection/extrapolation are the possibility of some characteristic becoming saturated or starved. For example, at what CPU speed does the calculation become data starved? The combination most likely to show that characteristic would be high CPU speed and low memory speed. The tail of the second plot is showing an increasing lose as memory speed goes down but I wouldn't call it significant yet.

I've added a plot to show top end behavior of the current results, i.e. max performance for each CPU speed. Across all the results I've gotten thus far, I don't see any indications of saturated or starved behavior at the top end so you could try the projection.

There are a few more test I can run and plots I can make to see if I can detect problematic behavior. Unfortunately my components are pretty well maxed out so testing the top end will be limited to 3.6Ghz or below.

Attachments

• Pi_versus_CPUspeed.jpg
    Pi_versus_CPUspeed.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:
A little more comparative info is in these two figures. The first shows performance using Pi as a metric as a function of CPU speed for two cases, memory run at ~1066 and ~600. You can see that at 3Ghz the performance difference due memory is ~3.7% which would require and additional overclock of 100Mhz for 600 memory to get the same performance as that of 1066 memory. Depending of the cost difference between 600 and 1066, you would have to decide on value.

The next figure refines (shows in greater detail) a previous plot. From this plot, you can observe that if you bought 800 memory then you would get 2/3 of the potential gain between 600 and 1066. Thus 800 might be a good option if the price difference of the three speeds is of highest value to you.

Looking at the table noted above, you can see that buying memory with 4-4-4-N timings would give you a gain of ~0.5% in performance over memory with 5-5-5-N timings. Again, you need to decide value.

Attachments

• Perf_CPUspeed_MEMspeed.jpg
    Perf_CPUspeed_MEMspeed.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 187
  • Pi_fcn_MEMspeed2.jpg
    Pi_fcn_MEMspeed2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 193
The tests in this thread show what I have seen also, for the most part. I did some testing earlier this year on a 975x board. 1:1 vs 4:5 gave me a 2-5% increase in "some" applications. On that board (DFI 975 Infinity) I could OC at 4:5 just as fast as 1:1, the board capped at 430mhz FSB so running a 4:5 was not a problem. I could get each OC with an equal NBv setting so that was not a factor either.

So, I do not agree that there is "NO" gain to running memory faster than the CPU. However, it is a very minimal gain and certainly not worth exerting a huge amount of time or resources to get a pure memory OC if you are seeking only pragmatic gains.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
The tests in this thread show what I have seen also, for the most part. I did some testing earlier this year on a 975x board. 1:1 vs 4:5 gave me a 2-5% increase in "some" applications. On that board (DFI 975 Infinity) I could OC at 4:5 just as fast as 1:1, the board capped at 430mhz FSB so running a 4:5 was not a problem. I could get each OC with an equal NBv setting so that was not a factor either.

So, I do not agree that there is "NO" gain to running memory faster than the CPU. However, it is a very minimal gain and certainly not worth exerting a huge amount of time or resources to get a pure memory OC if you are seeking only pragmatic gains.

So thanks for your comments Yellowbeard! Please point me at your thread, I would be interesting in seeing the info.

Also, where did I say there was "no" gain to anything? I think all in the thread have said that the user needs to decide if it is worth the gain to them? Do you disagree with that? I'm somewhat at a lost as to what you're debating.

deeppow said:
So thanks for your comments Yellowbeard! Please point me at your thread, I would be interesting in seeing the info.

Also, where did I say there was "no" gain to anything? I think all in the thread have said that the user needs to decide if it is worth the gain to them? Do you disagree with that? I'm somewhat at a lost as to what you're debating.
I'm actually not debating you at all. I may have taken something out of context:

You do get higher bandwidth and performance with higher CPU speed, see figure below. There is minimal effect of the FSB speed when the CPU speed is fixed, i.e. running the northbridge faster alone doesn't provide any advantage.

I'll have to dig up my posts about my testing. It was at 2 different forums, both of which have changed formats over the past few months; the old DFI forums aka the new DIY forums and either Tom's or Anandtech, I cannot remember which.

Thanks for getting back to me Yellowbeard.

I may see the problem, the last statement of mine you quote (which might confuse). With the eVGA 680i board, I can separately
1) set the northbridge speed (the FSB),
2) set the memory speed, and
3) set the cpu speed (using the CPU multiplier).
When I set the memory speed, I assume they've finally hidden the memory dividers from me in the BIOS and let me pick a speed and the bios selects the needed divider. As with most boards there are combinations of CPU multipler and FSB that effectively hold the CPU speed constant and vary the FSB. For example a CPU speed of 3Ghz = 9 * 333.3Mhz = 8 * 375Mhz = 7 * 428.5Mhz = 6 * 500Mhz. With my current board I can't reach the last combo, the board tops out at about 457ish.

Thus I can do a study where the CPU speed is fixed, the memory speed is fixed, yet vary the northbridge speed (FSB). Effectively the question is, does having a bigger or faster bus/pipe to move data help the CPU engine, i.e., better performance? Answer is no, the pipe is sufficiently designed that it handles any data flow from memory into the cpu, ay least as high a memory speed I can test. There is "NO" gain in running the northbridge alone faster.

That is different that overclocking the memory beyond 1:1. I run my memory beyond 1:1 too.

Hope that helps and thanks for raising the point. :beer:

Last edited:
Excellent clarification IMO too, thanks. I took a small statement of yours too literally and did not read well enough in the first post.

I see guys daily stating that there is NO advantage to running anything other than 1:1 which is not entirely true, even from a real world or pragmatic stand point.

L8R. :beer:

I can saw that in my 3dbenchs I get better scores @ 5:6 with ram over 600mhz 5-5-5-x than I do @ 1:1 ~500mhz 4-4-4-x

||Console|| said:
I can saw that in my 3dbenchs I get better scores @ 5:6 with ram over 600mhz 5-5-5-x than I do @ 1:1 ~500mhz 4-4-4-x

me too, high frequency ftw.

1:1 is for suckas :D

but its not just 3dm i see the gains, its pretty much everything. i wish p965 didnt get so sloppy over 400fsb :(

Back