• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What holds memory heatsinks in place?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Burner127

My question is regarding the material used to hold heatsinks for ram in place. While I was reinserting one of my modules, the heatsink moved. i was able to realign it with the actual memory stick, but I am curious as to how secure it is? I have the clips that hold each side of the heatsink to each side of the memory module, but from what I can see the material used to hold the heatsink to the ram chips is white.

Advice is welcome.

Thx

Burner127 said:
Should the heatspreader have moved?
depends on the quality of the thermal tape. If you get some good stuff on there nothing will move after it sets.

Well the memory in question is the one in my sig. I don't know what they use. But isn't it unusual for it to move at all or is there a break in period before it "sets".

Burner127 said:
Well the memory in question is the one in my sig. I don't know what they use. But isn't it unusual for it to move at all or is there a break in period before it "sets".
no telling could need more thermal cycling before it really hardens up. From reading around though its not uncommon for the heatspreaders to move if bumped, some just can take more force before moving then others.

It shouldn't really make a difference if it's still making contact you're not exactly going to be moving the ram around when it's in the mobo are you :p

JamesXP said:
It shouldn't really make a difference if it's still making contact you're not exactly going to be moving the ram around when it's in the mobo are you :p

True. I am just worried about it falling off.

redduc900 said:
If you're worried about the heatspreaders falling off, go to the Mushkin support site and register a passport account...

http://www.mushkin.com/passport/

Once you have an account set up, follow the procedures to set up an RMA from them. You could also post your issue in their support forums here...

http://forums.mushkin.com/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=3

Well I just checked it after running the machine for 2 days straight and it feels secure--although I didn't force the heatsink to move. I am just paranoid about it falling off and taking out my $650 video card. What do you think?

Burner127 said:
Well I just checked it after running the machine for 2 days straight and it feels secure--although I didn't force the heatsink to move. I am just paranoid about it falling off and taking out my $650 video card. What do you think?
its just like he said if your worried about it RMA the ram. IMO there is nothing to worry about cause you have 2 "devices" holding the heatspreader. one being the thermal tape and the other the clips on the heatspreaders.

If you have 2 kits of the 996533's with the blue heatspreaders, you can read some reviews about them, their pretty notorious for the heatspreader being loose, but no worry, they don't fall of. I have the same ones (or one now) in my system and just got done moving and they(it) haven't/hasn't moved a inch.

No worries. :beer:

Back