• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ultra 800w PSU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johan851

Insatiably Malcontent, Senior Member
Article here: http://63.74.115.230/articles1468/index03.asp

I feel like this article doesn't belong on the front page. The 5v rail is pretty far out of spec, the reviewer tells users that they need an 800w+ PSU for their system, and it's a quad 12v rail design.

Pros:
* Quiet
* Very well built and attractive casing
* Stable with very little voltage variation
* FlexForce cabling (on X-finity)
* Attractive chrome wire grills
* 800 watts and 4 12-volt rails makes for a stable and future proof solution
* $199 USD MSRP is a fair price for a PSU of this caliber
* AST to help enhance component life
Cons:
* Rails could be a bit more tight to their specified voltages (with the exception of the 12v, which was excellent)
* Could use a couple more SATA power connectors
* FlexForce cabling (on X-finity)
Well built casing and "attractive chrome wire grills" don't make a PSU good. At $200, it's bound to underperform compared to the PSUs we recommend around here. And four 12v rails don't make for a stable or future-proof setup at all. Also, it seems that the FlexForce cabling has made both the pros AND the cons list, with no explanation given.

The reviewer, in my opinion, has insufficient knowledge of what to look for in a PSU. They shouldn't be writing PSU reviews.

johan851 said:
The reviewer, in my opinion, has insufficient knowledge of what to look for in a PSU. They shouldn't be writing PSU reviews.

The reviewer doesn't even have a decent Volt Meter with logging to record that ! Mobo voltage measurement is known for its bad accuracy since they don't calibrate the voltage offset at the factory ! :(

Imo, nowdays for PSU review, I think a voltage ripple report while loaded in a scope shot is mandatory !

Also looking at the current trend on high amp supply, for further accuracy, a low resistance meter (mili ohm) measuring those cabling is also crucial especially some of those modular cables are known to have really bad connectors.

Last edited:
I think it's like grabbing a pretty powmax PSU for like $10 and Say it's a good psu because it's UV reactive and has sleeved cables.

Yes that review basically told me that the PSUs were pretty and they could power a system without going out of ATX spec.

Notice that I said "a" system because the reviewer never mentioned the specifications of the system he used for testing. For all we know he hooked up a Pentium 3 machine to that thing.

I realize that not everyone can afford a load tester and oscope for testing power supplies, but at the very least use a powerful system and list the specs of the system.

Maybe what Johan want to say is, how come the front page is lowering the standard that allowed such level of PSU review ?
Correct me Johan if I'm mistaken to interpret your message ! :)

bing, you are exactly right. :)

We have such a good knowledge base here in the forum, and I don't understand why articles that completely contradict all of that knowledge are allowed on the front page. A review like that is going to steer individuals in the wrong direction.

JamesXP said:
I'ma look for it on neweeg and see if i can get the UL number.

Most likely Wintech. From what I gather looking at their lower wattage units, their engineering is not in the same class as the competitors.

The reviewer should state how he is stressing the PSU. I see no mention of system specs. Apart from the fact that it powers on, there is no real info provided...There is no way that unit is in the same league as the X-Pro.

It seems like the reviewer is a bit inexperienced and he could have done a much better job with a bit of help.

Edit#
I may be wrong here. I don't see any Wintech 800W units floating around...so it has to be Andyson. If so, it is a killer unit!

Edit#2
Check this review. Andyson internals for sure.
http://techgage.com/article/ultra_x-finity_x-pro_800w_power_supplies/1

Last edited:
This article just plain out sucks, IMO. If you want to do a psu review, then by God spend some damn money and buy some proper testing equipment and do it right. What a waste of time even reading that so-called review. If I want a good review read I generally go to a site that uses actual testing equipment such as a SunMoon analyzer like HardOCP or JonnyGuru.

Goonda said:
Most likely Wintech. From what I gather looking at their lower wattage units, their engineering is not in the same class as the competitors.

The reviewer should state how he is stressing the PSU. I see no mention of system specs. Apart from the fact that it powers on, there is no real info provided...There is no way that unit is in the same league as the X-Pro.

It seems like the reviewer is a bit inexperienced and he could have done a much better job with a bit of help.

Edit#
I may be wrong here. I don't see any Wintech 800W units floating around...so it has to be Andyson. If so, it is a killer unit!

Edit#2
Check this review. Andyson internals for sure.
http://techgage.com/article/ultra_x-finity_x-pro_800w_power_supplies/1

The quality/validity of the review aside, is this Ultra Grid PS any good?

I have a 500W unit that came with my UltraGrid case and I immediately replaced with a PCP&C but I might use it on my old Iwill D800 Xeon duallie if it won't blow up the hardware when it fails.

My UG case: http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=13&pPath=473&productID=473

:eek: :drool: 1600W single rail Ultra !!?
http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/9626/103/

Last edited:
Back