• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GEEEZUS when will DDR memory pricing become decent again?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Cornell

God..
Just a month ago, I coulda got some Crucial 256 DDR PC2100 for $25.
Now they're trying to charge $61.
Who are they kidding??
I just wish I had bought the stuff at $23 when I had the chance.
Now I'm just SOL and I gotta wait to build my new box.
DAMN THOSE DDR MEMORY CARTELS!! WORSE THAN OPEC!!! :mad:

Haha, I'm not some conspiracy theorist but isn't it a little odd that the 512 MB DDR dimms were released right at the time of the price hike? Maybe it's also a coincidence that it happens to be Christmas too.

Hopefully you guys took advantage of the BestBuy Crucial deal, I did.

Yes it will get better again.

While I understand the desire to save money in the short term, consider how often you will be buying memory as a factor also.

Not too many weeks ago, I got 256MB of PC 133 for $100. That sounds bad by today's price but consider that 18 months ago I also bought 64MB of PC 100 for the same $100.

Before that, it was over $200 for 32MB of 72 pin pre EDO memory. That was over 3 years ago. Over the years, every purchase seemed to be a steal at the time. Six months later, I had to think "God did I pay that much for so little?"

While memory prices are up right now, one thing that you can count on is that over time, memory prices fall just like every other price in this business. If you can live with the RAM you have now, then sit on it for a while. See what prices are like at the end of February. Perhaps they will be higher than they were at the beginning of February, odds are they will be better than they are today.

I still consider todays prices to be decent. A year ago i bought 128mb of pc133 for 135$ Can.:eek: thats more than a buck a mb. about 2 months ago i bought a stick of PC2100 Crucial ram for 75$can and now its about 100$ so its not too bad i guess. Still, 100$ for 256mb of PC2100 Crucial is a good deal if you ask me.

"when will DDR memory pricing become decent again?!?!"

w/all the p4 ddr boards coming on line, it's only up up & away fr here on out

was nice while it lasted

Mr. Cornell said:
God..
Just a month ago, I coulda got some Crucial 256 DDR PC2100 for $25.
Now they're trying to charge $61.
Who are they kidding??
I just wish I had bought the stuff at $23 when I had the chance.
Now I'm just SOL and I gotta wait to build my new box.
DAMN THOSE DDR MEMORY CARTELS!! WORSE THAN OPEC!!! :mad:

Memory prices have dropped so much in recent years that we have forgotten the days of the X86, I for one remember paying $200 for 8 megs in those days......what would we do if we still had to pay those prices?

I have no problem paying 60 to 70 dollars for quality 256 DDR.

:D

Re: Re: GEEEZUS when will DDR memory pricing become decent again?!?!

mx said:
Memory prices have dropped so much in recent years that we have forgotten the days of the X86, I for one remember paying $200 for 8 megs in those days......what would we do if we still had to pay those prices?
I have no problem paying 60 to 70 dollars for quality 256 DDR.
:D

$30/mb is what I paid for 8x1mb 70ns 30 pin SIMMs in 1992...just so I could play Wolfenstein and load big wave files.

Back