• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spread Spectrum?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Godfodda

My AOpen board (AX37Pro) has a BIOS option called something like Spread Spectrum (sorry, don't remember the exact name). It is in the Frequency/Voltage section and has two options: normal & +/- 0.38%. Anyone know what this might be? Manual doesn't mention it or anything, btw.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the spread spectrum settings were only to be used if you were having rf interference or something like that and if you aren't having any problems, don't mess with it. Sorry I can't remember any clearer than that but I read this some time ago. Anyways, I do remember that what I read said that if you aren't having any problems, then don't enable it.

This taken from Adrian Wong's Definitive BIOS Optimization guide:

When the motherboard's clock generator pulses, the extreme values (spikes) of the pulses creates EMI (Electromagnetic Interference). The Spead Spectrum function reduces the EMI generated by modulating the pulses so that the spikes of the pulses are reduced to flatter curves. It does so by varying the frequency so that it doesn't use any particular frequency for more than a moment. This reduces interference problems with other electronics in the area.

However, while enabling Spread Spectrum decreases EMI, system stability and performance may be slightly compromised. This may be especially true with timing-critical devices like clock-sensitive SCSI devices.

Some BIOSes offer a Smart Clock option. Instead of modulating the frequency of the pulses over time, Smart Clock turns off the AGP, PCI and SDRAM clock signals when not in use. Thus, EMI can be reduced without compromising system stability. As a bonus, using Smart Clock can also help reduce power consumption.

If you do not have any EMI problem, leave the setting at Disabled for optimal system stability and performance. But if you are plagued by EMI, use the Smart Clock setting if possible and settle for Enabled or one of the two other values if Smart Clock is not available. The percentage values denote the amount of jitter (variation) that the BIOS performs on the clock frequency. So, a lower value (0.25%) is comparatively better for system stability while a higher value (0.5%) is better for EMI reduction.
Remember to disable Spread Spectrum if you are overclocking because even a 0.25% jitter can introduce a temporary boost in clockspeed of 25MHz (with a 1GHz CPU) which may just cause your overclocked processor to lock up. Or at least use the Smart Clock setting as that doesn't involve any modulation of the frequency.

Thanks for the read, karsta! That probably explains the occasional problems I've had with that board. The little explanation in the BIOS simply said something like 'we don't recommend you change from default'. Well, it was at 0.38% when I fired it up so that's where I left it. I've seemed to suffer a bit of a performance problem the whole time, too. So, back it goes to the "other" default. :D

What I find interesting is that the clock generator is giving off photons in the radio frequencies if I am not mistaken by what you have said here. Very interesting. And at what hertz would they be at?

ol' man said:
What I find interesting is that the clock generator is giving off photons in the radio frequencies if I am not mistaken by what you have said here. Very interesting. And at what hertz would they be at?

I only copied that from the bios guide (link above -thanks for adding it)

Would it be fun to somehow modulate the frequency of EMI to visible region so that it could be seen like leak in tubing? Or get glowing motherboard:p

Karsta said:

I only copied that from the bios guide (link above -thanks for adding it)

Would it be fun to somehow modulate the frequency of EMI to visible region so that it could be seen like leak in tubing? Or get glowing motherboard:p

Yeah:D

Back