• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to diagnose a slow startup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RangerJoe

All that is Man!
So, I have a VERY slow (5 to 10 minute) startup when I boot my comptuer. I am still running a 15k scsi drive, so it should boot to windows in about 30 seconds.

Where should I start in order to diagnose getting this fixed? I have removed everything from the boot (put trillian and AVG back in, cause they aren't the problem.)

I booted to safe mode, and it holds for a long time showing the giveio.sys file, which apparantly comes with speedfan. I uninstalled speedfan, and renamed the giveio.sys to giveio.old to see if that was it, and it didn't seem to fix the problem either.

Where should I go from here?

Thanks guys. By the way, XP, service pack 2 with all current updates and the computer from my sig.

Possibly post a screenshot of all your running processes, and also under the Startup tab of the System Configuration Utility... with all of the entries in both visible.

Start | Run | Type msconfig, and click OK | Under the "Boot.ini" tab of the System Configuration Utility, put a check next to /BOOTLOG and click OK | On next reboot a file called Ntbtlog.txt will be created in the Windows directory. The log file may be able to help lead you in a direction in which to look regarding your slow boot problem. This is only used for troubleshooting, as the generated log file will keep increasing in size after each subsequent reboot... so make sure to uncheck the /BOOTLOG switch after you determine you don't need to continue logging.

The following MSKB articles may also be of some help to you...

How to troubleshoot by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

Sounds like the registry. I used a registry cleaner a while back on a old install of XP that was getting slow and it made a difference like night and day.

my system is very clean from spyware/viruses. i run hijackthis weekly to do checkups. It's been doing this for about 3 months now.

i ran sfc /scannow the other day and that didn't seem to help.

I will try the boot log, and post that up.

Look in the system hardware, is there anything with a question mark? It sounds like a driver that is being rejected. Have you installed some new hardware or cleaned your computer and didn't put a plug back in all the way?

If you have ATI video, then I would suspect that. Have you recently allowed windows to update your video or IDE drivers? Remove the ATI video driver completely and boot into VGA mode. Is it still slow?

Unstable overclock can cause long boot times also. Too much voltage to the ram or unstable RAM.

Back