• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so Im impulsive, did I screw myself?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ares350

I bought 4x1gb D9 memory sticks(ballistix)

do I have a prayer at a high overclock now? or does this make it impossible? I seem to be reading I should have done 2x2gb, but I didnt... I could return it and get 2x2gb, but itll cost me 15% which is like 30$ :(

is there any hope for 4 sticks?

ares350 said:
I bought 4x1gb D9 memory sticks(ballistix)

do I have a prayer at a high overclock now? or does this make it impossible? I seem to be reading I should have done 2x2gb, but I didnt... I could return it and get 2x2gb, but itll cost me 15% which is like 30$ :(

is there any hope for 4 sticks?
Having 4 sticks compared to two puts alot more stress on the northbridge, this MAY affect your overclock (most likely WILL).

I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you're the type that HAS to get the very best oc possible, then you might notice something, but if you just oc to get a few more fps then it shouldn't be a big deal.

very best? Im not looking to set records. but I watercool and Id like to see 3.6ghz out of my Q6600, more is definite gravy. Im just worried Im gonna be gimped down significantly.

let me ask it another way, about what would the difference be? are we talking .1ghz, or .4ghz or more?

I think it's hard to say, try oc'ing with the 4 sticks see how well it does. Then try it out with just 2 in, I'm curious it see how big of a difference it would be (not trying to make you be the guinea pig) just a suggestion.

well, with pc8500, you arent ocing the memory until you get past 1066mhz. so unless you swithc your cpu multi, youll run out of cpu before you do memory speed. but it seems like most pc8500 does around 1100-12200mhz without too much troubles. just get a memory cooler kit, or a fan. 2 of em alone can make some decent heat, let alone 4 heheh.

the ram is only 6400, its the mainstream crucial ballistix.

out of curiosity, would watercooling NB help? that presents a huge problem being that the NB is tied into the caps and SB with heatpipes. but I could cut them I suppose... NB doesnt look to be the hub of cooling, the fins are on the caps and SB anyway. but I do watercool, and I might even be able to reuse the waterblock I had from my old AMD PC(has NB changed chipsets?)

I could strap a fan on the ram also, though its already pretty well cooled, the case has about a bazillion fans on it, the door has 4 blowing right onto the whole mobo.

From the experience I have had with my P5B... I don't think the ram will be the thing that holds you back from the max oc of a Q6600... they should do just fine, with little noticible difference between 2 & 4Gb.

ok, you guys are making me feel better. Ill have all weekend to tinker with it and an E4300 too, so Ill probably see what 2 sticks vs 4 yeilds in the situation, then Ill try it on the Q6600 when it arrives.

I've got 4x1GB Ballistix (8500's) on my P5K Deluxe, and I can get stable to 3.52 on my E6420 (440 FSB). I run 24/7 on 400 FSB.

1:1 I can even tighten timings to 4-4-4-12, but running the RAM faster takes me to 5-5-5-15 timings.

I'm sure my Northbridge is running a little hot, but I have an Antec 900 so airflow isn't much of an issue.

balistix 6400s are the same d9 chips as on the 8000's and 8500's jsut didnt bin as fast @ low volts , they will do 4-4-4-x @ 2.1 @ 500mhz

well here it is.

new3.jpg

I havent even strapped in the water yet :)

itll just be the CPU now... GPU water blocks are just too rich for my blood, I dont see the point, 140$, I could have gotten an 8800GTX and OCed that on air.

Ill see how the NB holds up, and make cut off the heatpipes and run it off water.

keep us posted on your results. i just picked up the same 2 kits, and i'm thinking of taking advantage of the current rebate for that abit. can't wait to see your results.

my results are a checksum error during post, possibly solved by boosting ram voltage(I changed a few things, so I cant be sure, but it did run enough to readily enter bios to change it, so no big deal if you know to do so)

but no I got BSOD the instant it starts to boot vista. Im tired, Ill have to figure this out when I get home from work tomorrow afternoon.

Back