• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Office 2003 or 2007?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Socket eh?

I've been using Office XP for the last 5 years, and I'm growing tired of the drab interface and dated features. I can get my hands on Office 2003 for cheap, or just buy 2007 retail, so I'd like to know if 2007 is worth extra money over 2003.

Define "cheap". All I know is that I wouldn't pay the full price (what is it, like $500?) for a copy of Office. If you can get Office 2003 for under $100 (I know a lot of universities offer it for like $20), then go with that, unless you can also get Office 2007 for under $100.

Ya, it's about $430 here, I can get full 2003 for $100. There's no real feature difference between the two?

2007 looks more like Vista... As far as features go, there's about as much difference as from XP to Vista. That being, the new one looks better.

Soichiro said:
2007 looks more like Vista... As far as features go, there's about as much difference as from XP to Vista. That being, the new one looks better.

Id disagree with that.

If you buy this one, you get word, excel, powerpoint and onenote for $121.99
and can be installed on 3 pc's.

And its much better than Office XP, I use the above at home and 2003 at work.

That's not a bad deal at all, but I noticed in one of the reviews that 2007 files are not backward compatible with previous versions of office. So I am glad he showed me this link even though I am not going to purchase it.

Socket eh? said:
That's not a bad deal at all, but I noticed in one of the reviews that 2007 files are not backward compatible with previous versions of office. So I am glad he showed me this link even though I am not going to purchase it.

Hey mate, dont think that Im trying to push you into getting 07, as Im not. you'll be happy just going from XP to 03.

But Im not sure what you mean about not being backward compatible, just like with 03 you need to save it as the right file type to open with older copys of office.

Just like 03 this is what it looks like in 07,

Is that what you meant ?

I second open office.

Tell me something it can't do? It will even load Microsoft office files, and you can say in the .doc/.ppt/microsoft format.
It is not compatible with office 2007 files yet but that will come just as NTFS write/read support came.

OpenOffice is free. Its open source and easy you get. www.openoffice.org

I used Office 2003 Pro for quiet some time and I love it. However, I did receive a free copy of Office 2007 Pro through my school and I finally installed it. What I have to say:

Office 2007 Applications take longer to load and do simple functions on my computer (about an extra 8 seconds to load, 1-2 seconds for other tasks)

Office 2007 does look nice

Office 2007 requires more space for a similar install of Office 2003

In the end, I'll just keep 2007 since I already installed it and defragged.

I'd go with 2003 if I were you, It's like XP vs. Vista as noted before (2003 will be hella faster and have the essentials instead of fancy stuff =p).

Good luck

2007's UI is much better then the previous versions, in general. Regardless, even though I prefer 07, just go with whatever suits your price range (got mine free from the MS promotion-thingy)

Back