• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

watercooling your ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

71skylark

Registered
Has anyone made a waterblock that could be mounted on DDR dimms? If not who makes the best copper heatinks for DDR?

I've never heard of any DDR getting hot enough to require watercooling. Just make sure you have decent air circulation around it and it'll be fine.

Mines barely warm to the touch with 3V and 166MHz going through it.

Mine get's warm - over 40°C at 2.65V/133MHz running case side panel off. It is not hot but while overclocking it needs cooling.

If one wants to avoid case fans with water cooled machine there could be a point.

edit:
Making blocks for one stick of two sided memory would be easy I think. But there would be problems in attaching blocks between two adjacent sticks.

Last edited:
I agree, there would not be sufficient space if you were to use more than one RAM module. How did you find out the temperature of your Memory? I guess a temperature probe.

A temperature probe yup..

I don't know if that's even possible since the weight of the waterblock are pretty heavy(especially the copper ones) and your ram is very light so it may slide out of the locks unless you find a way to fix that... Besides you can get ramsinks and put a fan blower next to it.

Easies way would be a U-shaped copper pipe (small inner diameter) soldered to a thin copper plate with right size and form. U-tube bottom would be almost as long as memory stick. Ends of the pipe would hold PVC-tubing possibly glued for tightness. One tube would connect to similar block (another side of the memory) and the others would form a branch for example from chipset cooling (parallel).

Attachment would be a bolt with two plates holding the blocks and necessary washers. I think that it would be sufficient. Blocks couldn't drop because of memory socket and its ejector tabs. Of course one could also glue the blocks in place.

Drilled block would look better but if channels were narrow it would be difficult. Drilled block would also weigh much more.

it can be done, and i am going to try it

another idea is to incase the memory and fill it with non-conductive oil of some type

i think 3m makes some good stuff

my RDRAM gets extremely hot

Back