• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista - The 64 vs 32 bit question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragonprince

Looks like SP1 for Vista is around the corner so it might be time to give Vista a shot.

For those with Vista already installed how does the 64 bit compare with the 32 bit version in every day use ? I do run quite a few different pieces of software related to video and audio work, will software like DVD Shrink and CDEX work under 64 bit Vista ? Will 32 bit Bittorrent clients like Azureus work ?

I will be installing on the rig in my sig.

64bit is the best of both worlds... it like running a 32bit all the time, then when a x64 program comes up, it just runs it, then goes back to everything else. Perfect emulation. The real power is with 64bit applications, but it will take awhile for them to come around, but still, it can run 32bit apps seamlessly.

I really like it. No problems. Plus it recognizes 4 or more gigs of ram.

But vista 64 runs things like most games and even photoshop slower than Vista x32. With more memory and the ability to run 64bit, it seems it is slower because it needs to be backwards compatible. That is what I have read, is it your experience as well?

Processors running 64bit OS can't run any 16bit code including 16bit installers for some older 32bit apps.

As long as you're not stuck with older apps that you can't live without, 64bit OS is the best of both worlds.

Back