• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M$ Office 2007 - Outlook 2007 slow when opening first email!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DSM4Life

When i load outlook 2007 its fine but when i double click the first email message expanding the email to its own window it lags for like 30 secs. Odd part is after that first lag time of an email every email that i click after that loads like normal. If i close outlook then reopn it , it still does the same thing, first email i double click first is slow the rest are fine.

Any tips/tweaks for this ?

Someone told me that in 2003 it use to load word as a editor and i want to try and find that setting but i havent found anything like that.

Thanks in advance.

outlook 2007 is SLOW when it is sending receiving, if you try to open an email right when you start it it is because it is doing a send and receive, no matter what computer i have this on, it is slow.

ive had mixed feelings with outlook 2007 ... it makes my life easy at work (finds any exchange server on the domain and configures itself automatically) , however, at home i prefer Thunderbird [/offtoppic]

Outlook 2003 slow when opening 1st email

I'm having the exact same problem you've described when opening my first email message after launching Outlook2003. Have you been able to resolve the problem? I've run out of ideas...
Thanks in advance for your help!

Never had the individual email problem, but I do know what Mr. Gov is talking about. At work, usually takes about 15 seconds to get over it's send/receive... longer of course if I have 30 emails with xls attachments like usual.

I appreciate your help! Unfortunately, it's not a send/rec'v issue. I've tried multiple suggested MS HF uninstalls/installs with no improvement. It almost seems that Outlook is searching for the PST file when opening the first email, even though it's already recognized it. Very frustrating...

In the bottom right hand corner of outlook, you'll see "connected to microsoft exchange" or whatever status it is. If you click it, you'll see some options.. Which are checked?

outlook 2007 is SLOW when it is sending receiving, if you try to open an email right when you start it it is because it is doing a send and receive, no matter what computer i have this on, it is slow.

s/2007/any version/ ;)

Pretty much, in my experience, ALL outlook products are slow while sending and receiving.

More CPU...

Search you drive for normal.DOT and delete all copies of it (unless you have special Word settings you don't want to loose), and uncheck the first box anyway. Then check the 'Editor Options' at the bottom, I think thats where you'll find the option to use Word as the email editor.

Last edited:
Search you drive for normal.DOT and delete all copies of it (unless you have special Word settings you don't want to loose), and uncheck the first box anyway. Then check the 'Editor Options' at the bottom, I think thats where you'll find the option to use Word as the email editor.

ummmmmmm what ?:confused:

1) Search your OS drive (usually C:\) for the file normal.dotm (normal.dot in previous versions of Office) and re-name it or delete it.

2) Un-check the first box (from your screen shot above) in HTML formatting.

3) At the bottom of your screen shot is a section called 'Editor Options', open that screen and in there you should have the option to use Word as the email editor. Disable it.

Try each of these by itself and check to see if it fixes your issue.

1) Search your OS drive (usually C:\) for the file normal.dotm (normal.dot in previous versions of Office) and re-name it or delete it.

2) Un-check the first box (from your screen shot above) in HTML formatting.

3) At the bottom of your screen shot is a section called 'Editor Options', open that screen and in there you should have the option to use Word as the email editor. Disable it.

Try each of these by itself and check to see if it fixes your issue.

1) I searched but dont have a normal.dotm file

2) I unchecked (still have same problem)

3) I cant find that option. This is what i have for edit options.

4m9z8g8.jpg

4k9kiue.jpg

537apo6.jpg

Back