• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Booting XP 32 & Vista 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jammw69

what do I need to add in boot.ini on XP , So I can do a Dual Boot with Vista 64 . Both OS's work fine but for me to be able switch between OS's i have to switch the hard drives in the BIOS . XP It's installed on a IDE drive and Vista is installed on a SATA drive.

Ermm put both drives in there, boot into vista, and download easybcd to setup a dualboot configuration. Once you tell it where the xp install is located, it shoudl take care of the rest, then you can change some variables to make set it just the way you want.

Can I do it in XP ? I would prefer XP to be the main OS. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep Vista.

No, run it inside of vista, it'll use the vista boot loader, but you can set xp to default os...

Well I tried using easybcd in vista , But I go to the XP on the boot screen, Computer goes to a black screen and then restarts. I would have just installed vista in XP But you can't run 64 in 32 :( . I have been reading on here and on the forum for easybcd Still can't get it figured out.

For dualbooting of Vista and XP, you'll need to move some files over from your XP partition. After setting up a dual boot in easybcd or VistaBootPRO, you have to move boot.ini,ntldr, and ntdetect.com from XP to the root of the Vista drive.

Back