• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Undecided About DDR3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

Is it too early to start buying DDR3? Waste of money at this point in time?

800MHz 7-7-7 sounds pretty good. Good IC's for DDR3 would be what? Micron Z9?

DDR3 is still in its infancy, and for the current price just aren't worth it unless you absolutely need faster memory. the best ddr3 memory modules right now are Micron Z9s, but going off of another thread here, I don't think you can buy DDR3 right now that has Z9 ICs

For me its not worth it.. if you are a bleeding edge rider then go for it..

I like staying just behind the curve.. its much cheaper. :) You can get 4GB of DDR2 1066 with tight timings for less then 2GB of DDR3 :) And from what I have seen of the benchies... They were claiming 10GB/sec on the DDR3... (only 6 for the ddr2.. which is bologna because my old ddr was pushing 7GB read and write...)

I agree with what every one has said, furthermore future proofing with a motherboard that runs DDR3 is also useless since by the time it becomes more affordable and worth it then there will be better boards out there.... you know what I mean ... boards with new shinny features that can do 600MHz, 700MHz FSB, blah blah blah.

Alright then. Ill just stick with my Crucial 8500's that do 600MHz 4-4-4 :D

Don't bother with DDR3 everyone knows memory at early stages is not worth it remember when DDR2 came out the timings where not that good. It's best to wait around 3-4 months once the best chipsets are out and memory timings have tightend up a bit.

Its at least a year away from being made to be "practical." So I would hold off with it. Also DD2 prices are great right now and decent DD2 should hold you over for a little while. :thup:

If you are rich or can get it free go nuts, otherwise its a big time waste of money for 5 seconds in PI. Give it till Q4 and then buy.

DDR3 is the way to go but the cost is big turn off compared to performance gain vs. running much cheaper DDR2

meionm said:
DDR3 is the way to go but the cost is big turn off compared to performance gain vs. running much cheaper DDR2
It will definitely be the way to go, but not at this point in time. The chips are still new, the motherboard support for it is still lacking, and overall DDR3 could use a lot more work. By next year though, DDR3 is going be looking really nice

Back