• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experience w/Vista 64-bit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreamtfk

So from what I have read on the countless forum threads it seems that to take advantage of more memory you have to run 64-bit Vista but also deal with the lack of 64-bit driver support, can anyone confirm this?

On the other hand I have also read that the majority of apps are still 32-bit though. I'm really debating whether it's worth upgrading to 4gb before installing Vista...

I've been using vista 64 business since April (got it for free around then) and haven't had any problems. There's like 23094089 threads about this, and AFAIK you won't have any problems with drivers unless the device is really old (camera, scanner, etc).

I had a bsod ONCE, because of a beta sound driver, other than that it's been stable.

Sweet! Yeh I have the Business 64-bit too, got it for free through my school when it was released and just threw it in a closet to wait for better driver support and bug fixes. Now with more DX10 games on the horizon im ready to blow the dust off lol

Been using 64-bit since RC2, little glitches back then. Since Retail Release though 64-bit has been perfectly fine as well its my only OS on my computer. No way going back to XP... thats yesterdays news.

I was unable to open a .exe compressed file designed for XP only. I hacked around it and used winrar instead of the self extractor and it worked fine.

My digital webcam has streaks of green lines across it.

My ATI drivers "fail" when the desktop is just sitting there every once in a while.

These are the only problems I have run in to since installing the 64bit version of Vista.

As far as drivers, most of them are already taken care of. You have chipset, which should be eiter ati, or nvidia, two big name companies, no way they'll get caught without them. And the same thing goes with your videocard. There's not much else you're going to need. Maybe a soundcard, or tv tuner, but go to their websites ahead of time and check.

I started with RC1, and I must say it didnt stay on there long, RC2 was better but imo not by alot.

But.. Full Retail Release is great (imo) Im very happy with it, other than a few driver issues in the first month or so (thanks nvidia, not) everything works very well and Ive had little to no issues finding drivers, though I dont really have any old hardware.

I might throw in my 2c as well. I'm using Vista Business x64 and have had no issues with the exception of finding drivers for the odd device. Apps run sweet and install into a seperate dir (Program files (x86)). I jumped straight from XP to x64 and found it to be a little sluggish over x86 XP but.. well worth the jump imho :)

Back