• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why is crucial so expensive now?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CrackedSKull

Hi, it's been a while since i've been here, eversince I got my new truck I kind forgot about O/C, anyways I was going to get some more crucial ram when I heard they had 512mb of pc2100 and when i saw the prices I about jumped out of my pants. What happened? I got 256mb of pc2100 a few months ago for about $36 with free shipping and now it's over $60!!!! I sure hope the price will go back down sometime, did memory suddenly get more expensive to make, or is DDR fading out or something?

Well, they say it's because they oversold their inventory due to error and had to up the cost to offset future costs.

I think this is bull and they're just capitalising on the holiday. After all, with other components dropping in prices for the holidays due to sales and such, they are in prime position to charge out the *** for memory...can't build a PC without it.

I bet it takes a steep drop after the new year.

Yea its the holidays where presents will be given and obviously advanced people will go with advanced stuff so they either take the ram or leave it.

Its like a trade in option they give you an offer you don't take it what are you going to do? :)

From articles that I have seen they blame the DDR price increases on the new P4 chipsets that use DDR instead of RDRAM. This has increased the demand for DDR and the supply chain hasn't caught up yet.

Personally I just think they are using the increased demand to increase their margins, even with the price increases memory is still very cheap compared to a few years ago.

RAM prices go up and down like stocks. We have had to raise prices 9 times in the past month at my store. If the demand goes up, so does the prices. They are going down now.

Mr Cornell, you'll have to wait and see like TranceBear said.

If the demands are high so will the price.

If they are low the price will lower :)

Anyone think the recent earthquake in Taiwan will drive the ram prices up again? I know it wasn't as bad as the last one, but I figure they'd appreciate the excuse to raise prices a little more. I'm very likely to buy a stick even though I'm "hoping" prices will drop again in January....buying the stick "just in case"....I need to put together a 3rd system(folding/gaming rig) and ram is holding me up at this point.

Back