• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Window gurus please help PC in trouble

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dont have an AV software uninstalled AVG about a week ago. Im almost postive I dont have any viruses. Ran HiJack-This etc..

I got similar messages a while ago and it seemed to be connected to Nero in some way. I uninstalled it and the problem went away though not being systematic or organised I did a couple of other things too so I'm not 100% sure.

>HyperlogiK< said:
I got similar messages a while ago and it seemed to be connected to Nero in some way. I uninstalled it and the problem went away though not being systematic or organised I did a couple of other things too so I'm not 100% sure.

Could have been the incd or virtual drive component.

Search the root of C:\ and any other installed drives for an autorun.inf file, delete any instances of it and then reboot. Make sure you've enabled Windows to show all files (My Computer | Tools | Folder Options | 'View' tab | 'Show hidden files and folders'), in order to view the hidden *.inf files. If that doesn't work for you... Start | Run | Type regsvr32 /i shell32, and click OK.

I did everything mentioned in this thread including redducs recommendation and still have it. After searching for an autorun.inf file only a norton ghost one poped up and I deleted it. Rebooted same error. After searching google for an hour last night im still empty handed. I dont know what to do. Whats next? Thanks.

Boot into the recovery consol using the install CD and run

chkdsk /r

fixboot

reboot into safe mode and remove AVG and Nortons

reboot....is it fixed?

orion456 said:

chkdsk /r

fixboot

reboot....is it fixed?

Also, just to add to this... while in safe mode run msconfig and see whats loading on startup :)

orion456 said:

chkdsk /r

fixboot

reboot....is it fixed?

Can you give me step by step or better directions? What install CD? Thanks

This wont make me lose or reformat any data on my HD will it? Im not even sure if I have the Windows CD. I didnt build this comp but its no Dell, etc. Someone made it for me long long ago. Also I have no AVG/Norton or any AV etc

SeasonalEclipse said:
The windows install CD, if you google it you should be able to find it with ease.
Google what exactly?

The screenshots showing my razermouse for the first one incase anyones wondering.

Attachments

• compsissue.JPG
    compsissue.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Okay I run Astonshell. For those who dont know about it its a shellswaping program for your desktop. Ive noticed when switching between the two the error only occurs when I load Aston as I always have (I havent used windows shell in a long time). Under Aston, I cannot go to Start | Control Panel | Taskbar and Start Menu but can in normal windows mode does anyknow if I can do anything without uninstalling Aston?

Back