• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Accessing USER accounts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M4dSc1ent1st

Registered
Hi

Yesterday, in an effort to fix a problem i had to reinstall a second copy of windows XP pro onto the same drive and on the same partition (all windows files went to c:\Windows2)

The drive itself is partitioned into 3 parts C, D, E with C having programs and my docs on and the others music and vids. I need to access my old user profile and data on the first copy of windows and transfer the data to the D or E drives and then i will be doing a complete format.

My problem is that i cannot access the my old user file, it was password protected and i get a "Denied access" error. Howcan i get access to the account, i am an admin for both and know the passwords.

I can't boot windows (the first install) so cant remove the account password that way.

Cheers for any input

EDIT - re-reading that ^ it may not be very clear, if so say and i will try again.

More than likely, you will need to go into the folder properties of your profile (right click -> Properties), go to the Security tab, click on the Advanced button, go to the Owner tab, and seize ownership of the folder and all files/folders below it (inherit). You should then be able to move it.

Last edited:
Back