• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crucial Ballistix - what chips?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UBB

I bought a gig of crucial ballistix DDR2 about a year ago maybe less... how can I tell what chips are in these? Is taking the heatspreader off the only way to determine this? thankyou

im pretty sure they are d9's but i dont know off the top of my head how to check

I read somewhere that pretty much any D9 chips are able to hit DDR2 1066 speeds. Is that so?

Ok, I went to look up exactly which one I bought and it was the BL2KIT6464AA804 (2x512mb)

I must have read that persons post out of context... or he didn't know what he was talking about.

Is there a huge difference between the various fatbodys or are they all considered desirable?

I thought crucial ballistix were either D9GMH or D9GKX? GMH are the best chips, but even GKX ICs are respectable in their own right, since they can usually overclock to 950, 1000

D9 chips are a term widely used to describe the ICs/memory modules that micron makes. However, a few specific "D9" models are extremely overclockable

weird but GKX are binned higher by micron then GMH and basically are the same IC. think bh-5 to bh-6, just different timings at a different speed, but the same IC. and back in the day ballistix did use d9 fatbody d9dqt and others.

shirker said:
I thought crucial ballistix were either D9GMH or D9GKX? GMH are the best chips, but even GKX ICs are respectable in their own right, since they can usually overclock to 950, 1000

D9 chips are a term widely used to describe the ICs/memory modules that micron makes. However, a few specific "D9" models are extremely overclockable

I believe that you have this reversed, or at least, at stock/default voltages.

It is GKX that is often used in the ultra-high binned stuff, with GHM mostly used in the DDR800-DDR1066. As has been stated, GKX is the one binned higher by Micron, and at stock voltages, will usually clock higher than GMH. It is the pricier of the two chips so module manufacturers will often perform add'l binning of GMH and use it, instead.

Once add'l voltage is added to the mix, then the differences disappear and either is capable of running equally high clocks.

It is generally held that GMH will scale better with voltage, but given that they are basically the same chips, just binned to different grades by Micron, I don't really know that it is a supportable assertion.

Reefa_Madness said:
It is generally held that GMH will scale better with voltage, but given that they are basically the same chips, just binned to different grades by Micron, I don't really know that it is a supportable assertion.
keep in mind also that Microns binning of D9GMH and D9GKX happens at 1.8v CL5. most manufacturers that produce D9GMH/D9GKX based modules run them at 2.1v if not higher. there is a world of difference between 1.8v and 2.1v so by the time the memory even makes it to market on the modules we all use, they are about on the same playing field for the most part.

high binned D9GMH can be better than low binned D9GKX and vice versa...there shouldn't be any real distinguishing between the two as it all comes down to luck of the draw, just like CPUs :thup:

Back