• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP SP3 Pre-Beta Download..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fr3@k3r

Was browings various torrent sites and found this interesting release..

pre-beta release. The full build tag of this release is 5.1.2600.3180 (xpsp.070718-2058), or build 3180.
now im trying to search for more info..

If you want to download the free beta i suggest you follow this link and reg for hotfix forums and or find a other source of the download

http://www.thehotfix.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=15596

I would suggest not bothering with it unless you think it might be worth it, it includes alot of just the hotfixes for post sp2 and some security fixes.

found this from another source
I did a clean install of Windows XP Professional (English, 32bit, Volume License) with Service Pack 2 integrated in a Virtual Machine. After that I installed Windows XP Service Pack 3 Beta build 3180.

The SP3 executable pack is named windowsxp-kb936929-sp3-x86-enu.exe. So there we have the reserved KB article number. The size of the pack is 332 MB.

When installing is replaces and backs up 2,848 files (456 MB) to C:\WINDOWS\$NtServicePackUninstall$

As before it also archives the SP3 itself in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
2,921 Files (552 MB)

Lucky harddisk space is not an issue these days....

After installing I noticed nothing new visually yet in the Bootscreen or UI. All I noticed was that Remote Desktop Client was updated to 6.1 and that IE6 said SP3 in aboput screen.

Of course a lot of bugfixes since SP2, I mean 2848 files are renewed, I have no wireless in the VM but I assume WPA2 support is now included and High Def Audio devices are detected without need of a hotfix.

I did a Windows Update for fun, 1 high prio update appeared, the July edition of the Malicious Software Removal Tool. 2 Optionals are .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0, not .NET 3.0 ?

Last edited:
wouldnt know cause im not trying it.

No need to use this if your keeping your system up to date with updates.

this is more geared towards im guessing people who dont like updating LOL, and i know there's a few since i know some people who are still on SP1

Fr3@k3r said:
this is more geared towards im guessing people who dont like updating LOL, and i know there's a few since i know some people who are still on SP1

And professionals who have to apply 90 updates to a new PC build after installing XP with SP2.

Back