• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disabling Driver Signing in Vista 64bit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cfn Nexus

Ok, this is driving me nuts. I've searched the forum, and used every method mentioned. From editting the group policy via gpedit.msc, to both command line bcdedit entries found on the web. But still Rivatuner refuse to run and I receive the driver signing window. What gives? Not only that, but when I right click for properties on a .exe, "run as administrator" is greyed out. Can someone lend a hand please?

disable UAC

Go to Control Panel. under search (top right) type user. you will see UAC on/off. turn it off and reboot. Done

Well I've been so busy doing so much other stuff with work and the rest of life, to have gotten back to this. Still have the problem - no Rivatuner, and still annoying driver signing issues. I have Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM. I have done all recommended, but still have the issue. What's going wrong?

go to http://www.vistabootpro.org/ and download vista boot pro. this program allows u to disable driver signing through a gui. i have used this and it works really well, jus tick disable driver signing, restart and wholla :santa:

Just try pressing f10 or f8 during startup... around the safemode option there was a choice to disable it... at least for me there was... later down the road I ended up disabling UAC....

Didn't M$ disable this in a recent vista update?

Yep, in KB932596. Supposedly there was another one in the next set of updates that did it as well, along with something else that is supposed to make you want to intall it.

I'm curious if that Vistabootpro program can still set Vista to not requiring driver signing after those updates are installed.

Yep, in KB932596. Supposedly there was another one in the next set of updates that did it as well, along with something else that is supposed to make you want to intall it.

I'm curious if that Vistabootpro program can still set Vista to not requiring driver signing after those updates are installed.

AFAIK, the f8 option still works because if it was disabled with an update... my core temp wouldnt work, and as of this morning-- its still working.

F8 option will always be there. Its more or less automating Vista to disable that danged signed driver from the start without human interference.

That program though does it work with all the updates that have come out? That would be sweet!!!!! Be really nice if someone could find the command line for it though at least during the boot process to disable it as well. I want to run 64-bit but signed drivers I could do without. I could care less if my PC is less secure without running it but I want 64-bit otherwise I'd be running 32-bit.

To disable the driver signing requirements, uninstall KB938979 and KB932596 then reboot. Use VistaBootPRO to disable the driver signing requirement and reboot again. As of yet VistaBootPro doesn't have the capability of disabling driver signing w/ the above two updates installed.

To disable the driver signing requirements, uninstall KB938979 and KB932596 then reboot. Use VistaBootPRO to disable the driver signing requirement and reboot again. As of yet VistaBootPro doesn't have the capability of disabling driver signing w/ the above two updates installed.

Are you you sure about KB938979? I did an experimental run, and installing it didn't turn off the ability to disable driver signing. As a matter of fact I've got it installed now and I can run Coretemp without any problems.

KB932596 though definately turned off the ability to disable driver signing requirements.

Oh so it doesn't do anything during the boot process. Oh well nm then.

Are you you sure about KB938979? I did an experimental run, and installing it didn't turn off the ability to disable driver signing. As a matter of fact I've got it installed now and I can run Coretemp without any problems.

KB932596 though definately turned off the ability to disable driver signing requirements.

So thats the only one causing issues so far? Have downloaded all the latest patches?

So thats the only one causing issues so far? Have downloaded all the latest patches?

Turns out I didn't have KB938979 installed, I only thought I did.

I guess I'm going to try it. I don't think I have anything installed at the moment that would be truely borked by required driver signing.

Back in a few...

EDIT: Yep, KB398979 does force driver signing. Uninstalling it now.

Last edited:
Back