• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partitioning and installing XP pro on a 250Gb drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

M4dSc1ent1st

Registered
Hi

I'm trying to partition my new 250Gb drive (SATA) and then install windows onto it. I can't partition the drive as i'd like (c:\ 80 d:\80 e:\the rest) as the windows setup can only 'see' 137Gb of hardrive space. I've heard of this problem before and i think it was rectified on the newer winXP cds with SP1+2, but i only have a very old XP cd.

So far i have only partitioned 80Gb for the c:\ drive and i have installed winXP pro and SP2. How do i now partition the rest of my hardrive?

In addition, can i get from microsoft or make a more up-to0date winXP cd with SP2 installed already.....it is annoying having to have a floppy drive installed in my computer so that i can get the SATA drive detected.....i'd like to use a USB or something easier. And i'd like to partition the drive all in one go and i don't want to use software like partition magic.

Cheers

CHeers

What I would do is slipsteam SP2 into your install, along with the drivers, then reinstall as you suggested. Autostreamer is a quick way of going about getting sp2 into your install. With it you need the redistributable version of sp2. It's pretty easy to use, it just asks for the XP disc and the service pack then gives you a new iso to burn.

Autopatcher
SP2

As for the SATA drivers issue, you can also slipstream them into your installation. For that go with nlite.

nlite

It's not too complicated to use, but it can be confusing at times. Any questions with that can probably be answered here.

M4dSc1ent1st said:
So far i have only partitioned 80Gb for the c:\ drive and i have installed winXP pro and SP2. How do i now partition the rest of my hardrive?
Like schnikies79 suggested, slipstreaming SP2 into your install is the best way to go. If you'd rather use your original XP CD for the install, then you'll need to format the empty partition from within the Computer Management Console (Start | Run | Type compmgmt.msc /s, and click OK) | Click on Storage --> Disk Management, and locate the unformatted partition | Right click the partition for a list of available options.

redduc900 said:
If you'd rather use your original XP CD for the install, then you'll need to format the empty partition from within the Computer Management Console (Start | Run | Type compmgmt.msc /s, and click OK) | Click on Storage --> Disk Management, and locate the unformatted partition | Right click the partition for a list of available options.
a bit OT, but does that /s switch do anything at all? (haven't found a specific answer for this on google)

The MMC ( Microsoft Management Console ) used to open with a splash screen, and using the /s switch would suppress it. Since the splash screen isn't used anymore, there's really no need for the switch. I've just always been in the habit of adding the switch to any console commands run from the Run box.

Back