• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FTP in Vista

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jeepgc04

Registered
Hey all I am using Vista Ultimate and am having trouble setting up my FTP site. I have IIS and the FTP installed and it points to the right drive and all services are running. I can access the FTP drive on my local network but not from an outside network ie. when i am at work

I can't figure this out any idea's would be appreciated

do you know if your ISP blocks servers on its network?

my ISP wont allow me to host anything on port 80, and getting port 21 available is a chore

It's not just port 21 you have to worry about. If you're using active FTP, you need port ranges up to 1023 open too. For passive FTP, it uses ports above 1023 range.

jeepgc04 said:
I can access the FTP drive on my local network but not from an outside network ie. when i am at work

Does your office have a firewall? They could be blocking some ports, like my office does.

I've have the same setup, Comcast with FTP. But I've switched to SSH and use SCP instead now b/c my box was constantly port scanned, and bots were trying to log into my FTP server 24/7. So much so, the constant hacking attempts hurt ping times.

You can check out this thread which has links on how to install SSH on Windows:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=514980&highlight=SSH

Back