• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Language other than English (Greek?) proofing tools for Word

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerkasaurusRex

I am working on a project translating things from English to Greek. I already have Greek fonts installed on my computer so i can write in the Greek language, i just do not have a spell or grammar checker. I am using Microsoft Word on OSX on a new intel mackbook pro. Anybody know how to get a Greek spell check on this so i do not have to go through each word individually and check the spelling when i am done?

This doesn't work from within Word but it might still be usefull if you don't find something better.

http://www.hri.org/fonts/windows/#03

The DL link is very slow but it does work, just have to wait a bit.

I'm also thinking you might be able to just create a custom dictionary in Word however, I'll ask a few people.

Just checked Word's help file, I think a custom dictionary is the way to go. I copied this from Word Help.

Create or add a custom dictionary

Create a new custom dictionary
  1. On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Spelling & Grammar tab.
  2. Click Custom Dictionaries.
  3. Click New.
  4. In the File name box, type a name for the custom dictionary.
  5. Click Save.
  6. In the Dictionary list box, select the new custom dictionary.
  7. Activate the custom dictionary.
How?
  1. In the Custom Dictionaries dialog box, make sure the check box beside the dictionary's name is selected.
  2. On the Spelling & Grammar tab, clear the Suggest from main dictionary only check box.
Add an existing custom dictionary

The Custom Dictionaries dialog box lists the available custom dictionaries Word can use to check spelling. If the dictionary you want to use — for example, one you purchased from a third-party company — is installed on your computer but not listed in the Dictionary list box, you can add it.
If you need help installing a third-party dictionary, see the installation instructions for that dictionary.
  3. If the custom dictionary you want isn't in the Custom Dictionaries box, click Add.
  4. Locate the folder containing the custom dictionary you want, and double-click the dictionary file.
  5. If you want to make this dictionary the default dictionary, click the dictionary name, and then click Change Default.
  6. Activate the custom dictionary.
How?
  1. In the Custom Dictionaries dialog box, make sure the check box beside the dictionary's name is selected.
  2. On the Spelling & Grammar tab, clear the Suggest from main dictionary only check box.
Edit a custom dictionary

Add, delete, or edit words in a custom dictionary
  3. Select the dictionary you want to edit. Make sure you do not clear its check box.
  4. Click Modify.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • To add a word, type it in the Word box, and then click Add.
    • To delete a word, select it in the Dictionary box, and then click Delete.
    • To edit a word, delete it, and then add it with the spelling you want.
Add words to a custom dictionary during a spelling check
  1. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click Spelling and Grammar
  2. In the Not in Dictionary box, make sure you see the word you want to add to a custom dictionary.
  3. To select the custom dictionary you want to add words to, click Options, and then click Custom Dictionaries. Select the check box next to a dictionary in the Dictionary list box, and then click OK twice. Note If you don't see your custom dictionary in the list, you need to select the check box next to the dictionary to activate it.
  4. Click Add to Dictionary.
Tip

If you're using automatic spell checking, here's an even faster way to add a word to the default custom dictionary: Right-click a word with a wavy red underline, and then click Add to Dictionary on the shortcut menu (shortcut menu: A menu that shows a list of commands relevant to a particular item. To display a shortcut menu, right-click an item or press SHIFT+F10.).

Change the language associated with a custom dictionary

By default, when you create a new custom dictionary, Word sets the dictionary to All Languages, meaning that the dictionary is used when you check the spelling of text in any language. However, you can associate a custom dictionary with a particular language so that Word only uses the dictionary when you check spelling of text in a particular language.
  3. In the Dictionary list box, click the dictionary you want.
  4. Click Modify.
  5. In the Language box, click the language you want for the dictionary.

Back