• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Clone HDD to DVD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vgplayer

Registered
I reformat my computer probably once a month but now that I have the Upgrade Edition of Vista I have to install Vista twice (http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5932). I want to get Vista setup with all my basic programs configured and then clone it to a DVD so when I want to reformat it will take alot less time and be good to go when it's done. I have been looking at Acronis True Image 10 and Norton Ghost 12.0. Which of these should I get or is there other possibly free solutions I haven't found that are better? Thanks in advance.

Try DriveImageXML 1st since its freeware, if you don't like it then the paidware. :D

Acronis is good though ! :thup:

Try DriveImageXML 1st since its freeware, if you don't like it then the paidware. :D

Acronis is good though ! :thup:

If you have a drive with two partitions, can you backup the entire physical drive, including MBR, using DriveImageXML? Does it capture the MBR?

Last edited:
Looking for an app to backup an entire physical drive to an image file, compress the blank areas in the drive image, restore to a new physical drive of larger capacity. HDClone automagically adjusts the partition sizes when you restore to a larger drive. Does Norton Ghost do the above, that is prompt to adjust the MBR for the new drive when putting the image on the new drive(I'm not familiar)?

The version of HDClone that does this is ~$43. Looks like you can get Norton Ghost 14 off the bay for ~$31.

Last edited:
Looking for an app to backup an entire physical drive to an image file, compress the blank areas in the drive image, restore to a new physical drive of larger capacity. HDClone automagically adjusts the partition sizes when you restore to a larger drive. Does Norton Ghost do the above, that is prompt to adjust the MBR for the new drive when putting the image on the new drive(I'm not familiar)?

The version of HDClone that does this is ~$43. Looks like you can get Norton Ghost 14 off the bay for ~$31.
Ghost only backs up the physical data with no regard to partition size. As long as it will hold the data partition size is irrelevant. It will not change any partition size on it's own this must be done through windows.

Back