• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Display turns off when Vista64 loads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kiljaden5

So I have this problem that started a few days ago. I was installing an old game, Shadowbane, when right after installation the screen went black for no apparent reason and there were a few white artifacts on the screen. The computer wasn't crashed however, I could see the caps lock light go on and off and occasionally I'd hear a sound effect coming from the speakers.
Pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL put the screen in the option to lock the comp, open task manager, etc, that part showed up fine. When I tried to open task manager, the window wouldn't show. I decided to see what happens if I "lock" the computer. As soon as I clicked, it crashed completely.

I hard rebooted the computer and since then, when loading windows and screen resolution is supposed to change to 1680x1050, the monitor says (no input) and turns itself off.

Display shows fine in safe mode or if I remove the nVidia drivers, but turns off when drivers are installed......

Any ideas?

Did my video card die?

I'm going to try booting from a Knoppix CD to see if that loads in native resolution.. that should tell me at least if the video card is fried or not (I don't see why it would be, its watercooled)

Back