• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with new ram(causing comp to freeze)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freshmir

I had 1 gig of geil 3200 in my older machine I decided to upgrade it to 2gigs. Ordered 2 sticks from newegg of the same rame. Installed it earlier and it keeps making my computer freeze, but the weird thing is its totally random and only when playing games. I have yet to have it happen when im surfing the new or doing anything else besides playing games.

When it freezes the sound just studders over and over really fast and the screen just freezes happens randomly in video games. I'm trying to figure out why its doing it. I ran memtest and it said the ram was fine no problems. I raised the voltage to 2.80v and put the timings on the defult that geil told me which was 2.5-8-4-4. Im using all 4 slots available on mobo as well. If anyone can help or knows more it would be greatly appriciated.

I believe you should know how to do BIOS settings, so try this:

Power down system, unplug power, continuously hit the power button for a few times, this will drain the remaining power in the mobo. Now take out the CMOS battery and leave it out for a good 3minutes then pop it back in. Plug in power and go in BIOS to re-do all your settings again but this time for the memory timings, set them to 3-4-4-8 instead of 2.5-4-4-8. Keep the voltage @ 2.8v.

If that doesn't work it might also be a good idea to try running memtest on the new sticks.

Did the battery thing and I previously ran mem test on all the ram and all of it checked out fine. Still same problem. The weird thing I was actually playing a game for a good hour and half earlier and it didnt happen. I thought it was gonna be fine then just now I went on for 10 mins and it froze again.

Are you sure that both the old and new ram are identical? Since one is older it may have different timings / voltage capacities than the newer one.

Just throwing this out there, it might not have anything to do with it, because in theory it would just downclock the faster of the 2.

Something I would definitely check out though, take em out of the case n check both sticks and see what they say.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD
System Model: MS-7125
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 262MB used, 1631MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

3d Card is Nvidia 7800
Sound card is sound blaster

The ram is same speed same company. The only difference might be where it was manufactured.

i know my first 2 sticks are dual channel im not sure about the ones i just bought they might not be, if so that might be the problem.

thats your problem.. dont mix ram..even if its the same speed the chips can be different and if the chips on the ram are different you will get many issues.

Think it might be happening cause the dual channel memory is set up for dual channel right now and the other ones are single channel? I cant find the setting in bios to turn dual channel off but i know if i put the stick in dimm 2 to 3 and put the 3 to 2 it will disable the dual channel cause the sticks needs to be in dimm 1 and 2 for it to work.

Freshmir said:
Think it might be happening cause the dual channel memory is set up for dual channel right now and the other ones are single channel? I cant find the setting in bios to turn dual channel off but i know if i put the stick in dimm 2 to 3 and put the 3 to 2 it will disable the dual channel cause the sticks needs to be in dimm 1 and 2 for it to work.

Wouldn't it be viable to return the new single channels and get dual channels instead? Just a thought

Yeah but newegg dosent have the dual channels for sale anymore. And the dual channels are 100$. I dont care enough to wait to return it then wait again for them to ship it if i can make it all work as single channel with no problems.

LuckySevn said:
Is this the one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820144055

If so, you can ask GeIL for it. I just bought another kit last month~

Well my first pair is 2 dual channel sticks of 512. The new ones giving me problems are single channel same 2 512's. I decided to return then and found a good deal on 2gb of dual channel g skill for only $100.00 right now 44.00 off so i ordered that and it should be arriving tommorow ill just sell my old geil sticks to someone cheap.

Never used G.Skill's DDR, that any good? cuz if that can OC past 500 I'mma get that instead! :bang head

Back