• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keeping SAME XP installation from from C2D to C2Q?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCdragon

As above thread said, I'm think of upgrading my C2D E4300 to Q6600 Quad-Core WITHOUT re-installing my perfectly working XP Pro & other HWs, provided that I will need to "adjust" appropriately my existing OC options in the BIOS. Is this feasible at all?? I am currently using an Asus P5N-E SLI with BIOS version 0406 MB.
Because I don't want to re-installing XP Pro and its associated drivers and Applications!

Thanks

You shouldn't have to reinstall anything.

Just reset your bios to defaults and go from there!

OCdragon said:
As above thread said, I'm think of upgrading my C2D E4300 to Q6600 Quad-Core WITHOUT re-installing my perfectly working XP Pro & other HWs, provided that I will need to "adjust" appropriately my existing OC options in the BIOS. Is this feasible at all?? I am currently using an Asus P5N-E SLI with BIOS version 0406 MB.
Because I don't want to re-installing XP Pro and its associated drivers and Applications!

Thanks

Before you power down and switch CPU, just go into hardware manager and delete your CPU entries. Your OS will detect and install new entries for your Q6600 on boot up.

It should detect everything automatically. You can delete the CPU entries if needed but it's probably unnecessary. Switching from a 2.4C Northwood to a 3.0E was essentially automatic on my old system.

Another vote for nothing bad should happen as long as the bios is reset before booting back into windows! Probably best to clear the cmos before you even install the new CPU.

If you aren't changing the motherboard, the system shouldn't care about a simple cpu change.

Back