• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Version Of XP Out - Ran Out Of Product Keys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41613

MicroSoft have ran out of product keys cause of the professional version and XP will stop being made on 31st Jan 08 except for system builders who have an extra 12 months to finally go VISTA.

Yeah right unless they trim it down a little and it's not a resource memory eating thing then I would maybe go VISTA earlier than that. But XP Pro on this rig below is running smooth and I'm staying with it no more messing about.

Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2c resolves a shortage of product keys caused by the longevity of Windows XP Professional, says the company.
there's a reason why there are still plenty of windows xp pro users out there who haven't upgraded to that new windows OS yet..

/end WinXP plug

AngelfireUk83 said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41613

MicroSoft have ran out of product keys cause of the professional version and XP will stop being made on 31st Jan 08 except for system builders who have an extra 12 months to finally go VISTA.

Yeah right unless they trim it down a little and it's not a resource memory eating thing then I would maybe go VISTA earlier than that. But XP Pro on this rig below is running smooth and I'm staying with it no more messing about.
I don't know why, but I find it extremely comical that they RAN OUT OF KEYS...

They ran out of keys for producing the product but how many valid keys are out there in warehouses?

I don't know how the keys are generated. I mean I would think that the generation of the keys would be in the trillions from the different combinations, but I guess that's not the case. Anyway, a lot of the keys got scrapped because of piracy.

That's very surprising just based on the number of characters in each key. I can't even imagine how many combinations are possible (yes I could figure it out, but I don't feel like it). Pretty funny if you ask me.

Scott9027 said:
That's very surprising just based on the number of characters in each key. I can't even imagine how many combinations are possible (yes I could figure it out, but I don't feel like it). Pretty funny if you ask me.
Possible keys vs. valid keys: the keys can't be any arbitrary sequence, IIRC.

Meh. Still on 2k at work, xp at home.

You also have to take into account that yes there are millions upon millions of combinations in which they can use, But these cobinations have probably been divied between all their different OSes and Software packages in the form of ranges. Like I know Windows 98, ME, 2002 (all versions), 2003 server (all versions) all version of XP, All the Office products from 97 on up, and Various other pieces of software have all used the 5sets of 5character key types.

webdevour said:
Twenty-six possible letters and ten possible number digits, surely won't last forever.
actually, it definitely would, IF these keys were generated randomly (3625 is a very, very large number). but, since there's some algorithm microsoft uses to make keys, they obviously won't make use of all possible combinations, so I can see how they're getting limited on keys.

I call shananagins man, MS has a history of dirty business and I bet that Vista being the steaming pile that it is, needs a push like the discontinuation of the next best option to prevent it from becoming the failure that is Windows ME.

its that discontinuation that you speak of, is the reason I even switch from Windows 2000 Pro to XP pro, when they announced that they were end of lifing Windows 2k i switched, was a sad say but I found I really like XP but I because of the Vista push I have been pushing myself more towards fully utilizing linux for everything besides dual booting it on my gaming rig and for servers.

I think Vista very possibly has the potential to be a good OS however as it stands atm, it is not. XP Pro was also the same way but after a few service packs it finally started to shape up, either way Microsoft still has yet to make a product that really gets it right.

When I go to Vista though I'll need all of these things:
- Win XP discontinued
- Significant service packs and debugging
- A reason why a discontinued XP will no longer suffice, given that dx10 will be available (unofficially) on it for one example
- Significantly better driver support

synthetic_fenix said:
You also have to take into account that yes there are millions upon millions of combinations in which they can use, But these cobinations have probably been divied between all their different OSes and Software packages in the form of ranges. Like I know Windows 98, ME, 2002 (all versions), 2003 server (all versions) all version of XP, All the Office products from 97 on up, and Various other pieces of software have all used the 5sets of 5character key types.

2002, did I miss a windows release? Out of keys, that deosn't seem right....

Back