• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pagefile Question/Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrumy3

Hey,

I just move my pagefile to my other harddrive so that i have no page file on my raid setup and just wondering what i should set it to and also when i move it to other hdd does it delete my old pagefile thats on c drive?

i have it right now set like this

pagefiletp6.png

since now its on other hdd is there a pagefile left over on my raid setup that i have to delete because o & o defrag is showing a pagefile.sys left on c drive

untitlediy7.png

any ideas would be great

I assumed if you defrag the c: drive that the pagefile would be gone (In O&O). I can try it later and see if that works.

dudleycpa said:
I assumed if you defrag the c: drive that the pagefile would be gone (In O&O). I can try it later and see if that works.
hmm thanks i will let it defrag, i tried looking for pagefile.sys and got nothing is that file hidden from us completely?

Its only hidden if you have system files and folders hidden. If you unhide those you can see it.

Looking at your screenshots though there is no pagefile on the c:\

Also you have it set to let the OS handle the size. I do not like letting tdo that as it can take too much space thats not necessary.

In XP you should set it to the size of your memory plus 12mb. Dont know about Vista though.

I'd put a 512mb page file on your system partition so you can get memory dumps for debugging purposes. System managed setup on the other drive is fine. There is no "rule" for setting up a page file. If you're hitting it too much though, you need more ram.

thanks for the post guys i will leave 512mb on my raid drive and leave the other drive the way it is, now all i need it 4gb and im set :-D

johnz said:
I'd put a 512mb page file on your system partition so you can get memory dumps for debugging purposes. System managed setup on the other drive is fine. There is no "rule" for setting up a page file. If you're hitting it too much though, you need more ram.
It'll still get used by Windows, though, so if the point of the excercise to get Windows to not page anything to the RAID, doing this defeats it.

Omsion said:
It'll still get used by Windows, though, so if the point of the excercise to get Windows to not page anything to the RAID, doing this defeats it.

It won't get used if it makes more sense for Windows to to use the other drive. Windows will pick the best drive to use in any given circumstance. Really when you get down to it, page file tweaking's stupid. Nothing you do to the page file is going to make any discernible difference in speed. I put my page file on my backup disk also, but that's just because I can. It's for no other reason than for something to fiddle with, and for a theoretical efficiency. If you're using the page file that much where you can tell a difference, you need to buy more ram. The only exception to this, is if you're editing large photos, or video files(in a professional situation). Then the best thing to do is dedicate a whole disk to page file use, to eliminate fragmentation. Incidentally this is one of the very few instances where fragmentation of the page file can be a concern. It doesn't matter in most aspects of computing, but in editing a large file it can make a difference.

So in summary... It really doesn't matter in the end what you do with your page file. Put it on your main disk, your backup disk, or whatever. If your using your page file that much you need more ram. Tweaking your page file is like polishing a turtles shell to make it more aerodynamic. It works, but you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference ;)

Back