• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

upgraded ram now computer is slower

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

enhanced

i just upgraded my ram from 2gb of ocz pc3200 to 2gb of mushkin pc4000 so i could oc further. now the computer is MUCH slower at startup and nothing is running right in general. i have a dfi cfx3200 mobo with a 4800+ X2. is there a problem with this mobo and that ram? the fsb is at 218mhz and the ram is at 240mhz right now. i figured the system should run faster with the ram set to fast.... whats up here?

thanks!

Not sure if this is it, but since your mobo doesn't support PC4000, have you tried changing the ram BIOS setting to DDR400? (PC3200)

majinwar said:
Not sure if this is it, but since your mobo doesn't support PC4000, have you tried changing the ram BIOS setting to DDR400? (PC3200)
That would be my guess that since it doesn't recognize it the mobo set it to ddr266 or something but he has it running at 240mhz. Might not make much of a difference, but did you go from dual channel to single? And slower how? Did you run benchmarks with the old and new ram?

i know it doesnt support it, but i have never seen a mobo that actually does support anything over pc3200. i always thought faster ram would work, it just wasnt needed. there is not option to change what ram it is, only the cpu/ram ratio.... after i installed it it was running at 160mhz and seemed to run fine. i never tried 1:1 i just bumped it right to whatever its at now (i dont remember the ratio) i do know that one higher and it wouldnt boot, which i thought was weird. even at stock cpu speeds. that should have put the ram at its stock speed of 250mhz while the fsb was at 200mhz. but like i said, it wouldnt boot at all. nothing past POST.

no, dual chan with old and new stuff.

i havent run any bench's yet, it just takes much longer to boot. any programs which open on startup and require internet (Steam, MSN mesenger, AIM, etc) will not connect until the system is fully running. before as soon as the program opened it was connecting. now every time i open a secure page in firefox it throws open a window telling me its about to open a secure page or something. never did this before....

im goning to restart this and set it to 1:1 and see if that changes anything.

one thing i did notice was that CPUz shows this ram as pc3200...

cpuz.jpg

Back