• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Timings or Speed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeFessler

I have DDR2 1066 2gb memory installed in my system. I have my PC overclocked and I have to put it on a divider that takes it down to 933. Is it better the loosen the timings and get it overclocked to say 1200?

Higher bandwidth is always better. If you are going from like 4 to 5 and from 933 to 1200 that should be better. Though It will depend on application if there is any benefit from such move.

Look at the reviews of DDR3 vs DDR2. That's the only example I can think of where higher bandwidth memory with looser timings is compared to lower bandwidth memory with tighter timings.

My suggestion is to burn Memtest 86 on a CD and test it both ways. Then go with the one that has the highest bandwidth (MB/s). (And is stable of course :) )

Hmm I can't seem to find how to set my timings on my board. I looked everywhere. GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3L is my board. Does anyone know where to find them or where I can get a program on windows that does it. I'm gonna look around the forum and see if I can find anything.

Yeah that's it Console. Whenever you're at the main menu in the BIOS just hit Ctrl + F1 and you should get your advanced memory options.

Back