• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Using the xp cd i already own on a new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kjd

Registered
I have a copy of xp from 2004 from a computer I bought in early 2005. Is it alright to use? or is it illegal to use? Is there like 2006 xp software that is much better?

ive heard vista is crap.

Im getting something like the following in a tower.

G/B M61SME-S2
AM2 Sempron 3000+
1GB Apacer
Maxtor SATA 160G
18x IDE Samsung DL DVD-RW
InWin EA002 case w/ PSU

^^ second that

edit: ok, well to answer yer question... no difference, just updated files is all, which you'll get anyways if yer legit.

im legit. I was told if you download it illegally it will probably be all corrupt and viruses and ****.

ive also got a copy of 98 I suppose I should stay away from it. too old?

It didnt work for me I have no clue why. I have it installed on another desktop and it keeps asking me to validate it on this one, I enter the cd key and it says incorrect... i have to phone in.

i already have it installed on this current computer if thats an issue

Is it an OEM CD (aka came with a prebuilt computer from Dell et al)? If yes, you're not getting that on another computer.

If not, then you need to know what version - Home or Pro? Pro keys can be used on three computers, iirc. Home can only be used on one computer.

Back