• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP CD Broken, need replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maviryk

Anyone here know how to go about getting a replacement OEM XP 32 disc? Preferably with SP2 installed?

I was a bit fervent in cleaning my apartment recently and my XP disc got broken in the process. I guess it is about time, since I was going to figure out how to slipstream everything into the install.

Shall I just call M$ and ask for a replacement? I'd rather not pay them $30 just to replace a disc but if that's the only legal route to take I'll do it.

MS might replace it as long as you have proof of purchase.

If it came with a computer like a Dell or HP then you would be better served by going back to whichever company it was from for a replacement.

Maviryk said:
Anyone here know how to go about getting a replacement OEM XP 32 disc? Preferably with SP2 installed?

I was a bit fervent in cleaning my apartment recently and my XP disc got broken in the process. I guess it is about time, since I was going to figure out how to slipstream everything into the install.

Shall I just call M$ and ask for a replacement? I'd rather not pay them $30 just to replace a disc but if that's the only legal route to take I'll do it.

i'm not condoning piracy here, however, if your disc is legit i would have downloaded it off a torrent, but thats just me. most of the illegal xp discs are VOL anyways tho :( so make sure you get a single lisc version if thats what you have. and alot of those discs come SP2 slipstreamed in.

if else Microsoft should be able to at least ship you a disc at cost (or they may even pursue you into vista who knows.)

iirc, SSS called up MS after his XP cd got trashed accidentally, and MS wanted to charge him $50 for a new disk. Just pointing that out. Good luck and report back with info about how you are treated, etc. I'm sure others will find this usefull/informative.

IMOG I read that but if they call them, will they give me the same disc as I had? I bought my OEM XP disc off of newegg and it only had SP1a on it, causes great deals of problems for network sharing.

Bah, I'll give em a call and see what happens, gonna be out of $30 looks like. They'd better give me a disc with all the patches on the disc.

For future reference, I would suggest using a copy of the original and keeping CD media in a safe place. We do this a lot at work, we never use the originals for anything because theres too many things that could go wrong. If a copy gets lost or damaged, its no sweat. Even better is ripping a CD image to your network, and using that if you need to burn a new copy - you should never need the original again.

Not sure what the legality of this is in respect to the terms of use, but I would consider it "fair use". You may want to look into it further to ensure you've complied with the terms to your satisfaction.

Well if you have the CD Key you should be allowed to download it right? I mean, you have the CD key so you have the license for the software, therefore should be able to use the license with a XP disc, you don't need to ask the place where you got it from for one :)

onlinebacon said:
Well if you have the CD Key you should be allowed to download it right? I mean, you have the CD key so you have the license for the software, therefore should be able to use the license with a XP disc, you don't need to ask the place where you got it from for one :)
That's the way I see it as well, but I doubt MS does.

i don't think MS sees it that way, mostly because they want to take your money coming and going and every step in between. This is one of the major debates that has also spread in to the music and movie industry too. The consumers want to think that once they purchase data (music, movie, software) that they own it, but the corporations don't see it that way. They see it as you buying one single copy and that is all you get until you pay more.

And this instance is one of the major arguments for why "copies" of software/music/movies should be allowed, legally.

if you ask me, MS should give you a brand new CD for the cost of shipping and possibly for the cost of the actual plastic and the ink that is on it. I can't imagine that topping $5. Or they should offer you a free iso image to download. But, I don't think that will ever happen.

splat said:
i don't think MS sees it that way, mostly because they want to take your money coming and going and every step in between. This is one of the major debates that has also spread in to the music and movie industry too. The consumers want to think that once they purchase data (music, movie, software) that they own it, but the corporations don't see it that way. They see it as you buying one single copy and that is all you get until you pay more.

And this instance is one of the major arguments for why "copies" of software/music/movies should be allowed, legally.

if you ask me, MS should give you a brand new CD for the cost of shipping and possibly for the cost of the actual plastic and the ink that is on it. I can't imagine that topping $5. Or they should offer you a free iso image to download. But, I don't think that will ever happen.

to my understanding you can have a copy for "backup purposes" ... whats the diffrence if you get it from another source? (other than what you previously stated in microsoft wanting more money) if your lisc key is legal it will work in any other xp disc presuming you have the right ver (OEM or VOL )

Yea, my retail disc got destroyed in a rogue CD-ROM and Microsoft charged me $35 IIRC for a new disc; more than I would have liked to pay, but it's still cheaper than buying a new OEM disc somewhere.

Maviryk said:

Mav,

I would call them and lay it on the line. There won't be any speculating about it.

I went through all this in Feb, one MSFT knucklehead on the phone told me the XP w/sp2 was $41 plus shipping

Another told me it was $30 plus shipping. They don't allow backup copies as it's against the EULA.

I ended up paying the $30 for a new XP sp2 disk and called it a day. Yes it sucks and yes there are ways to aquire a new copy against the EULA, but I wanted to stay within the EULA and MSFT screws the people that abide by the rules, in the end MSFT screws the wrong people, since I got a copy of Vista Business for free via the Power together campaign, I just bit the bullet and paid Microsoft the $30

It truly sucks Microsoft takes advantage of people with lost or damaged disks, not like I couldn't prove I had a legal copy of XP, hell I even had the anti theft box, the cd key, and everything else it came with from Best buy, except the disk, which a relative accidently threw away from my home office.

006.jpg

So for $30+ they are nice enough to send you a new XP Disk in a plain white CD mailer, you get a new CD key as well.
I spoke to a Microsoft customer service guy two days ago and he told me they will send new media for little or no cost, I had to explain to him how it worked as he was wrong, a couple days later a supervisor called me back and apologized for the rep giving me bunk info. If Microsoft had a heart, they should charge half of what they do for media replacements, but Microsoft and the tin man have a lot in common.

Attachments

• XP nonsense 003.jpg
    XP nonsense 003.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Silversinksam said:
So for $30+ they are nice enough to send you a new XP Disk in a plain white CD mailer, you get a new CD key as well.
So now you have two installable instances that should activate as separate installations unless Microsoft required the old key from you first to permanently deactivate it.

Audioaficionado said:
So now you have two installable instances that should activate as separate installations unless Microsoft required the old key from you first to permanently deactivate it.

Don't think they deactivated the old one, but my old XP cd key was a headache from the day I got it at Best Buy.

I had to call Microsoft to activate it from day one. Go figure as it was a sealed box.

I.M.O.G. said:
For future reference, I would suggest using a copy of the original and keeping CD media in a safe place. We do this a lot at work, we never use the originals for anything because theres too many things that could go wrong. If a copy gets lost or damaged, its no sweat. Even better is ripping a CD image to your network, and using that if you need to burn a new copy - you should never need the original again.

Not sure what the legality of this is in respect to the terms of use, but I would consider it "fair use". You may want to look into it further to ensure you've complied with the terms to your satisfaction.

One day I find someone using our original copy of 2003 server FOR A COASTER!!!!! LOL it had tea all over, but i was saved by a good wash, except for a scratch.

Since then all originals are locked far far away...

I dont know if it would be legal or not but I would give you an OEM SP2 disk WITHOUT an key for the cost of shipping. I have a ton of plain OEM disks without keys and wouldnt mind helping you out. It should work fine with your key since it is an OEM key and my disks are OEM. If it is legal and you are interested PM me.

If this is a violation of forum rules in any way let me know and I will delete this post or a mod can wipe it off the map. Just trying to help a fellow in need.

Silversinksam said:
I spoke to a Microsoft customer service guy two days ago and he told me they will send new media for little or no cost, I had to explain to him how it worked as he was wrong, a couple days later a supervisor called me back and apologized for the rep giving me bunk info. If Microsoft had a heart, they should charge half of what they do for media replacements, but Microsoft and the tin man have a lot in common.

thats what happens when Microsoft has a monopoly in the PC market

Back