• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Image right after Windows Install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gulp35

I've been thinking about backing up my Windows install (planning on using BartPE and DriveXML). Right now I am a bit flustered on when I should make these images.

I've been planning on Installing XP, updating it from Windows Update, doing a few windows tweaks (cutting down services, registry tweaks, etc.) and then making a base image that I could later install the latest drivers to whenever I reimaged.

Then I was planning on installing the latest drivers for my hardware and installing a few key programs (AntiVirus, antiSpyware ,firefox, coretemp, uGuru, orthos, superPi, WinAmp, pidgin). and then imaging up again.

At this point in my mind, I feel that I am going to be making images of my install after every program install!!!

My main questions are these:

Can I make a usable image right after I install windows(assuming that it will only be used on this one computer)?

What is a good imaging strategy so that I can be back running my computer as it is now after a critical problem?

Thanks,
gulp35

I have a clean XP install image saved. I basically did what you want to do. Installed XP, ran windows update, installed all my latest drivers then made the image.

Making an image after installing each program is a little overboard. I would just make one after you are done tweaking XP. Then start installing programs.

The main thing is to have a clean XP install. After a while you can do another image with all your programs and data. This second image you can apend every once in a while if your software lets you do that so you have a fairly recent image.

I use Trueimage 8 and it has served me well. I can restore an entire image or just a section of an image.

If you are using XP (erm, that's a yes...), have a look at unattended.msfn.org.

I used to have a DVD for installing XP, that included service and settings tweaks, tons of other bits, and then to top it all, it installed Office and pretty much every program I ever used, automatically. The only thing I actually had to do to install was Select the partition to install on. Oh, that and turn the power on, and insert the DVD!

Back