• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista ultimate 64 installation query

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

marktruman2001

Registered
Hello all
So my pc parts are coming tomorrow, so i want to install vista ultimate 64bit on one of my hdd's so its all ready for tomorrow. atm im using win xp pro 32bit and 32bit processor, but tomorrow I will have all 64bit stuff

problem is, when i click on the cd it says " you cannot run this version of this operating system "

anyone know how to install vista ultimate 64bit using win xp?

You can't. You're using a 32bit OS, to try and install a 64bit OS. My advice (very strong advice) is to just wait until the parts arrive. After all, even if you are successful, you will most likely have fun with driver issues.

One word, wait. It'll be a lot easier!

well when the parts arrive, how will I install it? As i will still be using 32bit XP. Can it be done with DOS?

You need to build the computer, then when you boot up, go straight in to the bios, and set the computer to boot from the dvd drive. Pop the DVD in and then reboot. Now you'll see something along the lines of 'press any key to boot from cd/dvd...'. Hit a key (duh!). You will now go through the 64bit installation route.

You cannot run the 64bit installation from inside a 32bit OS as the 64bit installation is pure 64bit, which is literally impossible on 32bit OSes. (god that sounds messy)

Back