• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 4GB (2x2GB) for Vista 64 Q6600 Rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arachnid

Registered
Hello all. I've been reading a lot of the posts here and you guys seem to know everything about memory, and I'm a little stumped so I thought it couldn't hurt to join up and ask the crowd...

I've got a Q6600 on an Abit IP35 with a superclocked eVGA 8800GTS. All the rest of the components are ordered, except for the Ram. I need 4GB for Vista 64/XP Pro 64 dual boot (gaming/photoshop rig), and I'd like the ability to overclock if possible.

I've read tons of posts on here asking similar questions about the best 4GB (2x2GB) kit, but none of the threads seem to end in any concensus.

I've also heard that 2GB sticks don't OC very well, but it can't hurt to ask, right? Either way, I'm looking for the best set of DDR2 800, PC2 6400 2GB sticks that I can find right now.

I've looked at the following:
G.SKILL - 2 x 2GB 800MHz at 5-5-5-12 (F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ) - $234.99
Patriot eXtreme - 2 x 2GB 800MHz at 5-5-5-12 (PDC24G6400ELK) - $239.99
Mushkin - 2 x 2GB 800MHz at 5-4-4--12 (996564) - $309.00

Help is hugely appreciate...this is holding up my build! Thanks! :D

besides, why do you want 2x2gb ? wasting money.

4x1gb and vista 64-bit is a stable OC powerhouse.

Thanks for the advice so far.

I don't see any crucial 6400 2x2gb, or I'd add them.

I want 2x2gb so I have room to expand if I ever decide to go up to 8gb. I've read (here and elsewhere) that 4x1 is more dangerous to OC anyway, but I have no proof of that and don't want to start a war over it here...either way, please humor me and assume 2x2gb is a good idea.

From my research, the Mushkin kicks the crap out of the other two choices in terms of overclocking, probably because it's got the D9 chips and the others don't (I don't think anyway). Reviews say that the G.Skill is hard capped at 400MHz, with the patriot only slightly better. The Mushkin, on the other hand, apparently goes up to at least DDR2 1072 (http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/mushkin_6400/9.htm), and possibly higher, but costs about $35 more after rebate and shipping.

Is DDR2 1072 vs. DDR2 800 worth $35? I guess that's the question. Thanks.

I have 8 gigs of the mushkin you're talking about. They are NOT going to oc to at least ddr2 1072. They are no longer using D9GMH, those reviews you read or old, or they had older sticks. If you buy these, expect maybe, maybe, ddr 900.

P.S. I just found out all 8gb are producing an insane amount of errors in memtest and wmd. Now have to start the good ol' RMA process.

Yeah I've seen that they're not the same D9s, but they're still D9s nonetheless.

The guys on the mushkin forums have been helpful and they are very quick responding to questions about timings and voltage, and I expect that they'll help me get the most out of the ram, and if I don't get the clock I want, I will send them back for a new set until I do. Either way, the muskin 2x2gb kit is still the best OCing kit that I can find. I'll post back with my results.

Thanks for the info!

Back