• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Patriot 2X1 GB 400 Mhz timings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

thundercat

Hi all!

i'm really new to this stuff so bare with me. i have read the sticky's about ram, nice reading. Most of the stuff is new to me and hard to understand. I just bought new memory, so here it goes.

What i would like to ask is which timings should i use with the following setup.

Mainboard: DFI lanparty UT nf3 250 Gb
CPU: AMD athlon 2400 mhz (12X200) 3400+ Newcastle
Video: Geforce 7600 GT 256

Memory: Patriot 2X1 GB pc3200 400 mhz CL3

Latency is at 3-4-4-8. Should/can i improve it by changing it, and what values should i use?

thanks for helping.

thundercat said:
Hi all!

i'm really new to this stuff so bare with me. i have read the sticky's about ram, nice reading. Most of the stuff is new to me and hard to understand. I just bought new memory, so here it goes.

What i would like to ask is which timings should i use with the following setup.

Mainboard: DFI lanparty UT nf3 250 Gb
CPU: AMD athlon 2400 mhz (12X200) 3400+ Newcastle
Video: Geforce 7600 GT 256

Memory: Patriot 2X1 GB pc3200 400 mhz CL3

Latency is at 3-4-4-8. Should/can i improve it by changing it, and what values should i use?

thanks for helping.

Thunder,

Use what your BIOS accepts as default on initial installation, then test them. If they pass and are ok, then you can play with the timings. Normally your default is the best you will get but not always. This is where the fun begins trying to improve.

Once you begin increasing your speeds, normally the timings will need to be relaxed as shown in my sig with my Patriots. When you change your timings, test them with Memtest86 and a boot disk before entering your operating system.

Those modules will require some voltage to get any higher FSB than 400 and tightening the timings will be a chore as they do not like to run much tighter than what they are programmed for. You can try 3-3-3-8 with additional vdimm but my guess is they will not be stable, they may not even boot at those settings. I would just leave them at 3-4-4-8 and see how far I can increase the FSB.

sofarfrome said:
Those modules will require some voltage to get any higher FSB than 400 and tightening the timings will be a chore as they do not like to run much tighter than what they are programmed for. You can try 3-3-3-8 with additional vdimm but my guess is they will not be stable, they may not even boot at those settings. I would just leave them at 3-4-4-8 and see how far I can increase the FSB.

Yep, normally vdimm requirements go up rapidly when you begin overclocking. These Patriots run just fine at default 2.6v 2-2-2-5 but once a mild overclock is set, they need more quickly as my sig shows. At about 222-225 MHz they need 2.90v - 2.95v.

RollingThunder said:
Yep, normally vdimm requirements go up rapidly when you begin overclocking. These Patriots run just fine at default 2.6v 2-2-2-5 but once a mild overclock is set, they need more quickly as my sig shows. At about 222-225 MHz they need 2.90v - 2.95v.

But if you loosen the timings they will run DDR-500 or better. My old GSkills with the TCCD ICs would do DDR-600 at 3-4-4-8 timings and about 2.9-3.0vdimm. They were great modules for the day. But I still loved my Corsair BH5 more. 2-2-2-6 at 276FSB with 3.5vdimm :D

sofarfrome said:
But if you loosen the timings they will run DDR-500 or better.

Of course, these Patriots are rated PC3200-PC4200. At 244 MHz the timings are 2.5-3-3-8. @ 2.95v on a reduced multiplier but the SuperPi 32 mb performance isn't any better that what I run now on the 12X multiplier.

Back