• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista Boots to a Black Screen..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

So after recovering from a virus, my copy of Vista Ultimate boots to a black screen and mouse cursor.. and my Documents folder. Ctrl-Alt-Del and restarting explorer.exe gets my desktop up and running, but I have to do it every time. I've read that this is caused by a damaged user profile. Does anyone know a fix for this? Even some way to restart explorer.exe automatically? I've tried making a new user, system restore, last know good config, safe mode...

Thank you for the reply. A startup repair didn't work unfortunately. What had happened was I got a virus from my flash drive from some computers at work that my company's partners in India were using. I didn't have system restore running (or AV software). I ended up putting the drive in another pc and scanning it there and removing the infection. Now it boots to a black screen and now ctrl-alt-del is available. I had tried booting to a cmd prompt and trying to use task manager or regedit, but it said the admin (ME) was not allowing access. :(
I may just reload vista.

Back