• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about RAM chips and overclocks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hi guys,

I recently acquired a set 1GB stick's of PQI Turbo PC2-5400. Now looking at the http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/ it states that all the PQI stick's are using the D9 chips...but it doesn't exactly mention the ones I have which are the PQI25400-2GDB....I would assume seeing as all of the stick's use D9's that these ones I have have would use it too correct?

With this in mind, how should it overclock? Is there anything special I need to know about D9's such as do they like volts or will they crap out? Do they like lower timings etc?

Hopefully this set can overclock so it won't hinder my overclock. I don't want to run the Celeron at like 3.2GHz+ 24/7 but it would be nice just to bench it that high for a one time deal :)

Thanks, ps2cho

Depends what type of D9. D9GMH is pretty good and like voltage(2.1-2.25) Most 6400 Get to DDR2-1K pretty easy don't know about your pqi you can only find out ;)

I used to own pqi 2gb kit pc5400, memory didn't like voltage and it overclock somewhere between 350-400 range.

Don't know much about your specfic memory, but most D9's like voltage. You'd want to stay under 2.3V though. Also I've heard from people that they run hot when oc'd. I haven't oc'd my d9's yet so I can't tell you first hand though..

You may want to contact PQI. The generic statement that "all" of the use D9s may or may not be correct. I seriously doubt that any manufacturer is currently putting any bin of D9s into a PC5400 set. They might be D9s if it is an older set though.

In general, I'd suggest 2.1v and slowly clock up from stock.

Yellowbeard XMS said:
Very cool, especially the 2.0v part. :thup:

Orthos and 2 sets of Memtest running. I got full RAM usage and 2.77GB of pagefile 100% CPU lol. I think thats stable its been going for 25mins now. The Orthos time counter takes 10 seconds to refresh each time!

EDIT: Yep 8hours stable thats great. And at 5-5-5-15 timings it looks great!! I still have a good .2v left to give these baby's and I havn't even found the limit yet!

Last edited:
How does 824Mhz sound right now :) I still ain't done yet!!

Going to leave them running orthos and memtest again for the next few hours. I'm taking things step by step very slowly so that I can be 100% sure of the most stable settings before I continue to hike up my Celeron-L's overclock. 400x8 right now with 1.37v and thats with the ram running 1:1....so I gotta now find how high the RAM will physically go before I can continue.

Back