• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why bother with a firewall?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quercus

Given that just about any respectable router or cable modem has built-in security and firewall functions, why does anyone still need a software firewall these days (assuming, of course, that you turn on these hardware functions and don't have specialized security needs)?

If you are using a router as a firewall then at the very least turn on windows built in firewall. No reason not to really.

I have a linux firewall myself and do not use my linksys as a firewall. Do not trust it and I have more freedom in firewall settings with my linux system.

If you're on a network a software firewall is a good idea regardless of the security is in place to protect the network itself from the outside. What happens if Bif in accounting opens funny_joke_dildo.exe and launches a worm which replicates itself and spreads using the latest unpatched exploit? If you run a software firewall your risk of infection is minimal, and your company's firewall won't help you with that.

See, no one likes being hacked by the lazy. If your going to have your identity stolen, your credit ruined, your personal information destroyed or computer disabled you want to know it was done by someone who really put for forth the effort.

Using a software firewall on is making sure they have that extra hurtle to go through. It makes sure you keep out the hacking riff-raff. If your life is going to be ruined, you want to know it was done by someone with l337 skills.

So remember kids, always use a software firewall along with the hardware firewall used by your routers. That way when you do get hacked, you'll have something more interesting to talk about with MS support trying to recover your shattered life than the regular topics of the 'blue-screen-of-death' or why Microsoft can't keep their 360's from self-destructing.

Happy surfing!

- Blackstar

its only the traffic going outbound that gets messed with. going inbound the user/ hacker has no idea as to where it is going to (presuming he doesn't have this information). most home / soho routers do a mix of nat/pat if not mistaken.

Blackstar said:
See, no one likes being hacked by the lazy. If your going to have your identity stolen, your credit ruined, your personal information destroyed or computer disabled you want to know it was done by someone who really put for forth the effort.

Using a software firewall on is making sure they have that extra hurtle to go through. It makes sure you keep out the hacking riff-raff. If your life is going to be ruined, you want to know it was done by someone with l337 skills.
Though at the same time you need to realize that if someone is skilled enough and they want in your system, no firewall is going to stop them.

webdevour said:
Though at the same time you need to realize that if someone is skilled enough and they want in your system, no firewall is going to stop them.

Thank you for that reminder. I forget to post that portion for the sarcasm impaired and funny-boneless members of our audience. :rolleyes:

3825~National-Sarcasm-Society-Posters.jpg

Course the only way anyone would see if there was anything on your computer they would want, they would already have to break into it to see it. ;)

- Blackstar

hhhhm ... ive always found that w/ mac filtering and firewall enabled on the router and of course education ... there's really not much else to worry about at least w/ my home network ... besides i dont really keep anything important on my computer ... i use a zip drive and usb drive to hold my critical info/data <shrug>

Blackstar said:
Thank you for that reminder. I forget to post that portion for the sarcasm impaired and funny-boneless members of our audience. :rolleyes:

3825~National-Sarcasm-Society-Posters.jpg

Course the only way anyone would see if there was anything on your computer they would want, they would already have to break into it to see it. ;)

- Blackstar
Yea, I wasn't trying to be a joke killer or anything, I guess I just forgot to use the standard smily :beer:

Software firewalls and hardware firewalls built into consumer routers primarily function to serve two different tasks.

The hardware firewall blocks attacks coming in from the internet.

The software firewall blocks malicious activity from going out from your computer.

Case in point: you download "hot blondz playing by the pool" in an executable self-extracting archive. In addition to getting a video, you also get a data harvesting trojan which goes into an obscure portion of your filesysytem then goes on to collect your bank information and credit card info and attempts to send it out to its mothership on the internet. You don't know its there until your software firewall says hold it, the process named "I'm-n-j00r-pz-stelin-yur-dataz" is trying to send information out to the internet. At that point, you say "yes" I probably want to block that. Without a software firewall, you wouldn't know it happened, and your hardware firewall doesn't block outgoing traffic...

Then you've financed terrorism with your stolen financial information. Tisk-tisk.

Blackstar said:

So remember kids, always use a software firewall along with the hardware firewall used by your routers. That way when you do get hacked, you'll have something more interesting to talk about with MS support trying to recover your shattered life than the regular topics of the 'blue-screen-of-death' or why Microsoft can't keep their 360's from self-destructing.

Happy surfing!

- Blackstar

Why this almost looks like a rainless post... Minus the fancy caps and punctuation of course.

conway said:
If you're on a network a software firewall is a good idea regardless of the security is in place to protect the network itself from the outside. What happens if Bif in accounting opens funny_joke_dildo.exe and launches a worm which replicates itself and spreads using the latest unpatched exploit? If you run a software firewall your risk of infection is minimal, and your company's firewall won't help you with that.

I.M.O.G. said:
Software firewalls and hardware firewalls built into consumer routers primarily function to serve two different tasks.

The hardware firewall blocks attacks coming in from the internet.

The software firewall blocks malicious activity from going out from your computer.

Case in point: you download "hot blondz playing by the pool" in an executable self-extracting archive. In addition to getting a video, you also get a data harvesting trojan which goes into an obscure portion of your filesysytem then goes on to collect your bank information and credit card info and attempts to send it out to its mothership on the internet. You don't know its there until your software firewall says hold it, the process named "I'm-n-j00r-pz-stelin-yur-dataz" is trying to send information out to the internet. At that point, you say "yes" I probably want to block that. Without a software firewall, you wouldn't know it happened, and your hardware firewall doesn't block outgoing traffic...

Then you've financed terrorism with your stolen financial information. Tisk-tisk.

So to answer the OP's question...
Router + Software firewall = Safe pr0n downloads :eh?:

LOL

conway said:
What happens if Bif in accounting opens funny_joke_dildo.exe and launches a worm which replicates itself and spreads using the latest unpatched exploit?

Lol, I didn't know my apartment came with an accounting department. :beer:

Zerix01 said:
Lol, I didn't know my apartment came with an accounting department. :beer:
I thought they all did :eek:

The op's question was "why does anyone still need a software firewall?" I thought I might explain why a larger network does/can benefit and employ a narrative office environment scenario including everyone's favorite dullard, Bif.

rainless said:
Why this almost looks like a rainless post... Minus the fancy caps and punctuation of course.

Aren't you proud?

As for OP, why wouldn't you have a software firewall? It makes it harder for things to get out...

:bang head <----- (The wall isn't flaming, but I hope this acts as a good visual aid)

Get a good router that has a an advanced built-in firewall which is customizable in many ways that blocks inbound/outbound packets and even services that you don't use.

Get a good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware that have active protection/resident shield which prevents malwares from even being installed. Active Virus Shield blocks worm attacks too.

Back